Street Mutt

I don't remember the last time I've flown in a plane. Technically, that's true, since I don't remember anything beyond the last two years. But, the craze of these last two years has been enough to make up for it. Waking up from a coma, meeting his grandparents, watching his grandparents die, becoming a part-time intern/part-time thief for a local gang for money. I know I'm not a bad person for stealing to survive, but some part of me can't help but wonder when the other shoe will drop and my bad karma will be returned.

I don't know why I trusted Kise. For all his crowing about his modeling and how I might've seen his face in some ad or magazine cover before, I really didn't recognize him at all. He could've been a serial killer for all I knew. But something in me sang when I looked at him, and so really, I never had a choice.

Kise might've been deeply entrenched in my life before the plane crash, but I would never know. My grandfather managed to pull a couple of favors to get some school records and my grandmother collected magazines of my old schools, but that was it. Apparently, I never wrote to any of my relatives in America, and I never talked much during family video calls.

I know that I lived in Tokyo, Japan, went to Seirin High, Teikou Middle School, and went to Hideaki Elementary. I know that I got average grades, joined a basketball team, and never got in trouble.

But that's it. There's nothing about my personal life, my friends. How do I even start to research an entire existence? What could possibly encompass everything I've ever known? It's impossible.

On the plane, I claimed a window seat so I could stare out the clouds. I think I've changed a lot. I mean, I've seen my photos from when I just got out of the hospital. Pale, thin, and soft. I looked almost sickly.

I stared at the endless expanse of clouds, and wondered what it would be like to just live there, in an eternal, fluffy bliss.

But then, I'd never have met my wonderful, beautiful grandparents. I'd never have known the thrill of a street chase, the rush of a challenging lock broken, or the sweet taste of satisfaction in knowing that no one would ever find his trail.

I would've never let my best friend bully me into returning to Japan.

I still really can't wrap my head around it. I know I've always wanted to return to Japan, if only to find out more about myself, and I know that Ash will be with me every step of the way. But I never imagined it would be so soon.

But isn't it unfair that I've left all my old friends behind? Isn't it cruel? Whoever I knew before my memory loss deserves to know that I'm okay. Better than okay, really. I won't stay—I really can't—but the least I can do is give them closure.

[Time Skip]

I didn't bring anything but the clothes on my back, and I only saved up enough for the plane ticket. I'd hoped to nick some food on the way, but no such luck. I was stuck in my seat for the entirety of the flight, so by the time I was walking away from the airport, I was starving.

But Kise and Ash mentioned that the Japanese were very kind. And that meant they were susceptible to pickpocketing. Surely no one would mind if I snatched a couple bills?

I had no information going in, so I walked around town to get a good look at all the pickings, but it was hard to focus when everything was so different. It was strange being surrounded by a veritable wall of Japanese chatter versus the English of America. The buildings were taller and more tightly packed. Unease roiled in my belly. I don't know how much I can rely on my inherit invisibility while I don't know the streets, the people, and the culture.

As if only to make my life worse, my stomach growled ferociously.

God this sucks.

Defeated, I retraced my steps from the airport. What a failure. If nothing else, I could scout out a place to sleep and find a way to communicate. All I have to do is get to Ash and then it'll be smooth sailing from there. I can plan, I can react, and I can think once I have a reliable source of food and shelter.

Was there not some kind of internet cafe that I passed by? I think I saw one...

"FUCK OFF YOU BASTARD!"

I nearly jumped out of my skin. What in the world...? It came from an alley just to my right.

In a glorified dumpster-party, I stumbled across an active mugging. Two massive, unfairly tall guys were surrounded by five other, shorter men. Seriously. Who gave them the right to be so tall?

Something niggled in the back of my mind... no. There's no way I found someone already.

And in an active mugging, no less! I can't just intervene. I don't know how well-organized crime is in Tokyo, Japan, and while I'm not exactly a Doris Payne, I'm not a small-time thief either. The less people know about my presence in Japan, the better.

But then, if I knew these people before, can I really leave them alone? The two tall boys are snarling and snapping at the muggers, but even with their size, they'll be swamped. If I don't step in, they could be fatally injured.

But I don't really know them. No one's seen me yet. I can still leave.

One man, small and wiry, stepped forward with a vicious smirk. "Do you know who I am?"

"Do you think I care?" the uniformed boy sneered.

The mugger stepped forward, wielding a knife. "You will."

Ah, to hell with it.

In a flash, I slammed my knee into two muggers' kneecaps, and punched the back of the head of a third. It drew surprised yelps from the last two, but I took advantage of their surprise and quickly throat punched a fourth.

Wisely, the fifth mugger took stock of the situation and ran with his tail between his legs. Good boy.

The two muggers I knees slowly got to their feet. They snarled and spat, more annoyed than anything. They drew their knives and readied themselves for a brawl. Meanwhile, I had no weapons and no plan. Why did I do this again?

"HYAAAAH!" the muggers roared, and charged. I was so dead. Their raised their knives and-

A book bag was thrown across the alley and rammed into the muggers like a fright train. They fell like twigs.

For a quiet moment, no one breathed. I carefully didn't look at the tall not-strangers, and instead, pretended to make sure the muggers were fully unconscious. The muggers fell ridiculously easy. They're a disgrace, really.

"Thanks for your help," the uniformed one finally said. I nodded my understanding, and headed off. If I spoke, they might recognize my voice.

I ducked my head and made a hasty retreat. Forget contacting Ash, I'm getting something to eat. If I really just found someone familiar so easily, I was definitely going to find someone else again soon. And there's really no way I'm going to be able to think properly while I'm half-starved.