Chapter 10 A Simple Talk

Start from the beginning

"No, just came in and found him being cryptic" well that wasn't a lie lie he was being cryptic. Pierce gazed at you as Steve decided to go along with what you were saying getting at what you were trying to do now as pierce seemed to slowly be a bit annoyed before he sighed.

"Well did he tell you he was the one to bug it?" Silence swept the room now as you looked at Steve wondering if this was a lie in its self. Now why would Fury bug Steve's home? Sure you didn't know him all that well only knew him from his interactions with Tony and his questions to you when tony couldn't be bothered to even talk to anyone. But that seemed a little far fetched to you. Steve didn't seem to want to reply now so you took it on your self to talk, maybe you should play along or would that be too dangerous? You've seen enough spy movies to see where this could go that or maybe you've just seen to many movies.

"No, no he didn't but then again he didn't really say much to us" you breathed out watching as pierce nodded standing up as he pressed a button on his desk. Suddenly behind him a giant screen was shown revealing a man that looked a tad familiar to you and a man all to familiar to Steve being interrogated.

"I want to show you both this" Pierce turned his back to you both leaning against his desk with his arms crossed now as you all kept your eyes to the screen watching an agent trying to interrogate the man.

"Who hired you, Batroc?" The Agent moved around him now as Steve finally spoke for the first time after a while.

"Is that live?" His gaze shifted to pierce as he nodded with a hum almost.

"Yeah, they picked him up last night in a not so safe house in Algiers" pierce almost laughed and you felt chills just run down your spine, this guy was honestly giving off some red flags with you. But then again it could be like your body guard you could just be paranoid.

"Are you saying he's a suspect? Assassination isn't Batroc's line" Steve muttered again as he stared out watching the screen closely as pierce turned to face both of you in the slightest.

"No, it's more complicated than that...Batroc was hired anonymously to attack the Lemurian Star and he was contacted by e-mail and paid by wire transfer...And then the money was run through seventeen fictitious accounts, the last one going to a holding company that was registered to a Jacob Veech" pierce explained reaching in a drawer for something until handing Steve a file that you couldn't help but peer over his shoulder to try and catch a glimpse at.

"Are we supposed to know who that is?" You raised an eyebrow your self now looking over to pierce as he shook his head before seeming to shrug a bit.

"Not likely, Veech died six years ago his last address was 14-35 Elmhurst Drive...When I first met Nick his mother lived at 14-37" pierce stayed causing Steve to look almost baffled reading over the file a bit more.

"Are you saying fury hired pirates?" You asked before Steve looked up a bit.

"Why?" He asked now as pierce sighed a bit.

"The prevailing theory was that the hijacking was a cover for the acquisition and sale of classified intelligence, The sale went sour and that led to Nick's death" pierce said causing you to look confused your self. But that didn't make much sense, this almost sounded like...a cover story.

"If you really knew nick fury you'd know that's not true" Steve voiced suddenly as pierce gazed at him. With a gaze you thought could almost with a gaze that just reached right into your soul. It was almost chilling.

"Why do you think we're talking? See, I took a seat on the Council not because I wanted to but because Nick asked me to, because we were both realists...We knew that despite all the diplomacy and the handshaking and the rhetoric, that to build a really better world sometimes means having to tear the old one down, and that makes enemies." Pierce became cold almost as he lifted himself up from where he was leaning on his desk in the back to round over to the front as Steve put the file down on the desk watching pierce stand close off to the side to you both before speaking again. "Those people that call you dirty because you got the guts to stick your hands in the mud and try to build something better! And the idea that those people could be happy today, makes me really, really angry." Pierce hesitates for a moment now as he stared at you both deeply. "Captain, Ms.Stark. you were the last ones to see Nick alive....I don't think that's an accident, and I don't think you do either"

Your eyes remained focus on pierce as your own expression hardened as Steve lightly took your hand as if to guide you back a bit now before pierce tried to speak again.

"So I'm gonna ask again, why was he there?" Pierce leaned closer almost menacingly causing you to take a step back, was he threatening you both? Steve decided to talk this time as you took a step back only to notice Steve's shield on the ground leaning against the desk, how had you not noticed that before? You guessed you must of been too worried about everything else to even think about it.

"He told us not to trust anyone" Steve replies now as pierce leaned back curiously.

"I wonder if that included him" pierce give you both a look and you could tell Steve didn't really buy pierce for a minute now, because something just wasn't adding up to you both.

"I'm sorry, those were his last words" Steve started before picking up his shield setting it on his back before taking your hand. "Excuse us" Steve dragged you with him almost as you both walked back to the entrance in silence before stopping as pierce spoke again. Your heart sped in your chest as you looked to Steve now watching the gears moving in his head.

"Captain" pierce shouted causing Steve to slowly turn his head. You decided to keep yours facing the entrance wanting to get out as fast as you possibly could. "Somebody murdered my friend and I'm gonna find out why. Anyone gets in my way, they're gonna regret it. Anyone." This time his tone was cold sending nothing but fear through your body as you turned your head to look at Steve who thought. That was a threat you knew it for sure that time.

"Understood" Steve breathed out before lightly squeezing your hand. "Come on (Y/N)" this time his time was soft leading you out of the room as he turned back to face he door frame leaving pierce back in his office, and you to think about the conversation more clearly.