Forty One

Skylar's POV

I tried my best to calm down while Alex drove to God knows where. The sky had gone dark by now and even the streets felt too scary and empty. I was still gripping my seat and my hands hurt. It felt like something was slowly tightening its hold around my throat, squeezing and squeezing until I couldn't breathe.

Alex was scaring me. My eyes kept darting from his face to the windows. This wasn't my Alex.

After what felt like a whole awfully long hour, he finally stopped the car. And when I looked outside in alarm, it took me a while to recognize where we were.

"Where are we?" I almost cringed at the fear in my voice. I didn't want to be scared. I wanted Alex to tell me that this was fine, that everything was fine.

"My house." He glanced at me with a frown. "Come on now."

I watched him get out and slam the door behind him. And it took me mere seconds to grab my phone from the center console, typing a quick text with shaky fingers and sending it to Caden. I didn't even get a chance to make sure it was Caden I sent that text to when almost the next instant Alex opened my door.

"Alex..." My voice cracked when I saw him clenching his jaw.

Of course, Alex and I had arguments. A lot of them. But he had never looked so angry and frustrated like he did at that moment.

What if he hurt me? I thought and nearly winced at it. He won't. He won't.

"For fuck's sake, Skylar!" He said out loud, running a hand through his hair exasperatedly. "I'm trying here. I'm trying to explain this to you. Why the hell are you making this so complicated?"

His hand reached out towards me and I tried controlling the sudden flinch.

"I'm not...I wasn't--"

"Just get out." He spoke through gritted teeth and grabbed my arm, not in a way that hurt, but it did make me shit-scared. I got out and nearly stumbled twice as he made me follow towards the front door of his house.

I wanted to run away. Shove him away, and run away from here. Because what if Caden didn't see my text? What if he did when it was too late?

My eyes darted around the driveway, hoping I'd see Alex's parents' car. But it wasn't there. And I realised it was too late as Alex pulled me inside behind him.

A beat of silence passed by and he closed the door. Didn't lock it, I noticed and practically thanked the universe.

He moved further inside his house while I stayed where I was. Closer to the door.

"Why was there blood on that gun, Alex?" I asked him, and there was no mistaking the fear in my voice.

He glanced back at me and I saw how tensed he looked at that moment. He wasn't the only one. "That wasn't my gun."

"You have a gun?"

"That's not the point--"

"What have you been hiding, Alex?" I cut him off, raising my voice even if it quivered a bit. I really didn't want the answer to that question. Because this wasn't a joke. And deep down I knew I'd be the one who'd get hurt in the end. He might not be losing anything. But I would. "What is it that I don't know?"

Alex looked away, frowning and running both of his hands through his hair now. "I knew about those gangs way before you found out."

The knots in my stomach increased tenfold and I felt sick.