Thirty Five

Skylar's POV

I didn't get another call from Mom or Dad throughout the entire night. And although Mom had asked me to call her back after hearing her voicemails, I didn't.

I didn't want to.

I looked down at the Physics textbook splayed on my lap, exhaling a deep sigh of irritation. Chicken came out of nowhere and started nuzzling her head against my knee, letting out a few soft purrs.

"Chicks, please try to shut up that sweet mouth of yours," I muttered, flipping page after page. Nothing made sense. Why didn't anything make sense?

"Okay," I whispered to myself. "So if the velocity is zero, that means the acceleration is equal to..."

I pulled up my hoodie sleeves over my fists and rested my head on them, letting out a loud, frustrated groan.

Why did Physics even exist? Why couldn't I get it? Why was a test scheduled for tomorrow? More importantly, why was I stuck at Kinematics when that wasn't even included in the test?

I took out my phone and switched it on, texting Alex. But then I realized he hadn't exactly sounded happy with me over that note on the fridge, and maybe I wasn't really looking forward to explaining to him about everything that had happened today. I bit my lower lip and pushed my phone away.

Raising my fingers up to my temple, I rubbed hard. "How am I supposed to study?" I whispered. "How am I supposed to study?"

The test was tomorrow and I hadn't prepared for it even in the slightest. I had my notes spread out in front of me, I had Hanna's notes out too, but that still wasn't helping. Midnight was nearing way too quickly and I was starting to freak out.

I needed to ace this test. Maybe that was the only way to make Mom and Dad come back. Stay. Fix this broken family.

No, I thought. That all was just too good to ever be true.

I was so into my hopeful thoughts that I nearly jumped out of my skin when my phone chimed. Chicken perked up as well and jumped into my lap, her eyes trained at the glowing screen. I stroked her ears and picked up my phone.

For some reason, I was expecting it to be Alex. But it wasn't him.

It was Blake.

What are you doing?

I frowned at his message and had no such intentions of replying until another text popped up.

Mind if I help you a bit on that goddamn subject?

I stared at his text in surprise, soon enough morphing into horror. My first instinct was to look around the lounge. Who knew if Blake had secretly fixed a camera in here or something?

I didn't. What sort of a person do you think I am?

I glanced at the new message and swallowed. This was getting a bit too creepy now. And when I heard a distinct tapping noise on one of the tall glass windows, I let out a small scream and scrambled backwards, causing the textbook to fall out of my lap, and Chicken to let out a loud meow.