Eighteen

Skylar's POV

I trudged towards my locker, trying to rub off the heavy sleep from my whole face.

I hated, absolutely despised going to school when I had gotten no sleep the previous night.

But then again, that never actually happened to me. Now, it seemed to be happening quite constantly. Ever since that certain someone appeared in my life. Nothing seemed normal anymore, not since my first conversation with Caden.

I couldn't put all the blame on him though. This all had started way before when I got that mysterious letter mailed to me.

Sent by BM. Blake Matthews.

Caden had only been saving my life when I had stupidly followed the anonymous instructions in that letter.

"What's been up with you lately, Sky?" Alex asked, opening my locker for me when I kept staring at it and made no move to open it myself.

A lot has been going on.

A lot that I wasn't telling Alex.

"I'm tired, Alex. I'll tell you everything when I'm not." I leaned my forehead against the cool metal, trying to understand why my mind was so overworked.

I was too creeped out to sleep last night when Blake Matthews had made an appearance in my house out of the fucking blue. Even when I tried, I just couldn't sleep. I kept on tossing and turning, too focused on the thoughts and questions in my head. All I could think about was Blake and that knowing smirk on his face and gangs and blood and gunshots.

Was he planning something bad for my family? How did my parents know him and his parents? What if he hurt my parents?

"When aren't you tired?" Alex questioned sarcastically.

I shrugged helplessly, taking out my Calculus book and shutting the locker once again.

I knew I had to tell Caden about this. I needed to ask him a hell lot of questions too, about everything. He must know Blake's intentions. Wasn't Blake his brother? Stepbrother? Half brother?

Alex walked me to my Calculus class, probably to make sure I wouldn't bump into someone, and I couldn't help but think how much of a great friend he really was. I hated keeping things from him, especially after that night of homecoming.

But I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about these gangs. No one.

"You'll come with me to my house and we'll talk things out, all right?" He asked, gripping my shoulders gently to get my attention.

I nodded even though I was sure Mom wouldn't be happy with me if I didn't go back home right after school, especially after last night. But if I hadn't nodded, Alex would've asked a hell lot of more questions.

I was tired of questions. Because I already had tons of them in my head and it was making me sick.

So I silently walked over to the back seat in hopes of getting some sleep with the teacher not being able to see me. Turns out the universe took some pity on me because we got a substitute teacher walking in right then.

How remarkable.

I sighed in relief, placed my textbook on the desk, and laid my head down on it. Then I closed my eyes shut. Everyone was busy doing what they wanted as it was a free period. I, on the other hand, decided to sleep.

Blake, I thought. There was this something hidden in the way he had met my gaze last night. Something knowing.

As if he knew so much that I didn't.