Twelve

Skylar's POV

"I've always loved you."

I looked in front of me in shock. How the hell had I not seen this coming? The popcorn in my hand stopped midway in the air before it could've reached my mouth.

"What the fuck." I whispered, taken aback.

Chicken decided it was the perfect moment to purr out loud, breaking me out of the daze. "Shut up, Chicks," I said, patting her head. "I just got the worst shock ever."

How would you feel if your worst enemy just said those words to you who also happened to be extremely hot and was almost dead?

Thankfuck it wasn't really happening to me. It was just the movie I had picked for the big night. The night where everybody else was busy enjoying the homecoming, while I was here at my house.

It wasn't like it was the prom anyway.

I stuffed my mouth with some more popcorn as I watched the hot guy falling down on the ground, dead. Why was it only the hot guys who died at the end? Why not the female counterpart?

"Fucking hell, he can't just die! Isn't this supposed to be a happy movie?" I whined. "God, I should've watched Harry Potter all over again."

Slumping back against the couch, I frowned at the screen as the credits rolled up. Just as I was about to select another movie (one with a happy ending this time), my phone started ringing.

I rolled over to the other side of the couch, huffing loudly, and picked up my phone from the coffee table.

"Hello?" I answered.

The person on the other end was dead silent except for the faint sound of loud music and cheers in the background.

"Kyle!" I heard a voice at last.

Oh no.

Only one person in this world had the guts to call me by that nauseating name.

"Alex!" I hissed. "We agreed on never using that name again, remember?"

When I had started calling him Allie, he had made a name for me too. And it was quite the opposite of endearing.

"Stop whining, Kyle. You're bursting my ears!" He shouted more than he should've. I didn't even know why he was shouting in the first place when I could hear him just fine.

And the fact he was calling me by that name, in a place filled with numerous people, was not welcomed at all.

I rolled my eyes and paused the movie on the TV screen. "What's wrong? Aren't you partying all right?"

Alex had asked out a girl to the dance way before I even got to know about the whole homecoming situation. Benefits of him being in the football team.

"I called you to tell you that I'm finally doing it." He replied, and I didn't fail to notice how the last of his words slurred a bit.