― 03 | CLOSE, BUT NOT QUITE

CAMERON STUMBLED INTO HER POTIONS CLASS just a couple seconds before class was supposed to start

CAMERON STUMBLED INTO HER POTIONS CLASS just a couple seconds before class was supposed to start. Quickly, she found the closest empty seat and sat down, letting out a heavy sigh as she rested her head on the table. Having potions so early in the morning, it being her first class on Mondays, was proving to be quite the struggle for Cameron since she absolutely despised waking up early. Her potions class consisted of Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs and, much to Cameron's distaste, she was currently sitting next to James Potter. 

Yes, they were not about a week and a half into their fifth year at Hogwarts, but James Potter was excruciatingly more obnoxious early in the mornings before Cameron had any sort of caffeine in her system. She didn't dislike the taller boy, no she actually saw him as a friend just like she did the other marauders. What got on her nerves was his constant chatter of a red-headed Gryffindor girl in their year names Lily Evans, who he was absolutely smitten over. Cameron felt like if she had to hear James talk about his next plan to ask out his 'Lily Flower', she was going to shove her head into a cauldron and scream until she no longer had a voice.

"Hey, James," A voice from behind them spoke up and James turned to see Remus and Sirius, the one who had spoken being his closest friend, Sirius. "Switch with Remus."

"What, why?" James countered. "I was just about to have a lovely conversation with our little Cam here about my plan to ask out my Lily Flower to Hogsmeade. I'm sure this time she'll-"

"Ugh!" Cameron groaned from her spot with her head pressed against the wooden desk. "Please, no more Lily Flower and Hogsmeade! I think I'm gonna vomit."

"Fine," Jame stood up and grabbed his things, making lots of noise to emphasize his dramatics. "I'll go talk to Sirius then! Remus can have my seat!"

"W-What?" Remus asked, looking up from his shoes that he had seemed to find very interesting during the conversation. Without even getting a chance to speak up, James pushed Remus out of his chair and sat down, easily taking his seat. Remus grumbled to himself as he grabbed his things and sat next to Cameron, who looked much happier that she wasn't sitting next to James.

"Oh, Remus, here!" Cameron gasped as she reached in her bag that sat next to her chair and pulled out the muggle novel he had given her just a week ago. "I just finished it last night. Well, by last night I mean this morning. I sort of stayed up all night to finish it. But it was a fantastic story."

"Well," Remus smiled when he heard ho much Cameron liked the book. "I have other muggle novels if you want to read them."

Cameron's face lit up and she quickly nodded, their conversation cutting short as their professor, Horace Slughorn, walked in and began their lesson. He told the class to try and make the Draught of Peace potion, which was a highly advanced potion that he only wanted to assign so he could see who was the most advanced at potions. Cameron, who had zoned out the entirety of his speech, looked over at Remus in confusion as he walked over with an armful of ingredients.