"Yeah, I think you're right." Erin pulls over in front of Cuba. "We missed you like crazy, too. Let's have some fun."

"Yeah... Let's have some fucking fun," Denise says while we walk to the bar.

As I step inside, I need to double-check to see if I've entered the right place. The atmosphere has completely shifted. The place is now filled with the sound of cheerful laughter, the soft beat of a pop song, and the warmth of joyous conversations. Dim lighting fills the room, setting the perfect mood and allowing customers to make the most of the small dance floor set up near the bar.

Looking around, I realize I didn't notice a stage set up in the far back corner and the new booths by the window earlier. I guess Joe's presence had me so emotional that I didn't notice the new fixtures Matt had added to the bar. The interior designer in me is taking notes of all the things I love and where I'd do things differently when I feel his eyes on me.

I knew I'd meet him here. He's the freaking new owner, for heaven's sake. But I confess I am not ready for the intensity of his gaze and the pull they still have on me.

Turning, I look into his handsome face. His breath catches. He freezes mid-step. His piercing gaze, as he looks at me from head to toe, is so intense that my skin heats up and my heart races. My mind screams for me to take a step back and ignore him, yet my body is urging me to move closer.

He's looking at me with so much longing and possessiveness that I find it hard to breathe. His eyes are boring into me as if he's ready to consume me. I can feel his hunger radiating off of him. I can almost feel his touch.

His jaw tightens as he swallows against the instinct to come closer, his hands curling into tight fists as if he's attempting to ward off the pull of attraction between us.

As I watch him struggle to keep his composure, anticipation courses through me when I see he's just as flustered as me.

I open my mouth to say something, but then he stares past me, his lips parting as his tough exterior cracks for a second.

Without so much as a glance in my direction, he strolls past me. Curious, I can't help but turn around to see what drew his attention. My eyes widen and my mouth hangs open when I see the person who grabbed his interest. He's walking towards Gia Beckett, the only woman who ever made my blood boil with jealousy.

"Uh..." Erin tries, her eyes going from them to me. "We could go to another place, you know?"

"Why?" I head to the bar, already signaling to the bartender.

"Shit!" I hear Denise say as they follow me.

"Hey, there! Could you get us three tequila shots, please?" I take a seat on the bar stool, my eyes taking in the colorful array of bottles against the wall as I scan the drinking options.

"Damn, you're really ready to party, uh?" Erin says once the bartender gets us our shots.

"To old friendships!" Denise clinks her glasses to ours.

"I'll drink to that!" I smile, trying to focus on them and not on the man behind me.

*****

I'm not sure how many shots we'd taken, but the feeling of being a little tipsy was enough to get us out onto the dance floor and join the group of people swaying their hips to an old country song.

Our dance moves are a funny spectacle, and the sound of our laughter fills the room as we have a wonderful time together. My sides are aching from laughing so hard. I can't remember the last time I was able to simply enjoy the company of my loved ones with no external pressures from the deadlines and work issues weighing on my shoulder.

As a slow song starts playing, I see Erin's and Denise's husbands approaching us, so I take it as my cue to get another drink.

Yeah, took them long enough to come after their wives.

Making my way to the bar, I order a cranberry and vodka. I soon spot an empty stool, allowing me to take in the sights of the room. Even though it is close to eleven o'clock, the customers are still going strong and partying in full swing. A delightful change of pace for a town that goes to bed early.

"Having a good time?" I hear Matt say as he pulls a stool and sits by my side.

"I am." I raise my glass for a toast and he clinks his beer to it. "You did a great job here, Matt. The bar looks like a completely different place at night."

"What would you do differently about the decor?" He rests his arms on the counter, turning his head to the side to look at me.

I smirk, my eyes narrowing. "How do you know I'd do anything differently?"

He fights a smile. "I know you."

"You used to, yeah," I say, my eyes locked with his.

He turns his body, getting closer, as his legs open wide and he's basically caging me. "Is that so?"

"There are many tables by the door, blocking the entrance and making it difficult for people to get through." I look around, ignoring how close he is and how good he smells. "People should be able to come and go without bothering or interrupting other customers."

He keeps his eyes on mine, making it hard for me to concentrate. "Yeah... I've noticed that too."

I look past him to see Gia coming our way. "I think your girlfriend is looking for you."

"Jennifer!" she says, a little flushed. "I can't believe it's you! I was convinced you'd never step foot in here again." She gives me a weird smile, her hands going to Matt's biceps.

"How are you doing, Gia?" I go for sweet and friendly with her, instead of feisty and bitchy for a change.

"Pretty well." She tries to catch Matt's eyes, but they're focused on me.

"Matt, honey, the guys in the kitchen need to talk with you for a second." She runs her hand over his arms, and I can't help but raise my eyebrows at him.

"I'll be there in a second," he says, his eyes locked with mine, a full smirk on his lips.

"Oh, okay." I feel her eyes on me but don't dare to look away from him.

Taking the hint, she quickly scurries back to the hole she had crawled up from.

"Really, Matt? Gia?!" I snort once she's gone, not able to hide the disdain in my voice.

"What about her?" He gives me a full-blown smile now, and I want to wipe it off his face with my bare hands.

I can feel the anger boiling inside me, so I choose not to answer his stupid question, opting instead to go back to the dance floor.

I'll just find the girls and leave.

I stand up, but he wraps his hand around mine, preventing me from going anywhere.

"Jen." He pulls me to him in a way I'm practically standing between his legs. His hands go to my waist, and my body explodes with longing, making me take a step forward. As he stares into my eyes, I can see the desire in them gradually grow, going from soft to a pull of lust. I wish I was not so affected. I wish I was strong enough to just pull away from his grip and walk back to my friends.

"Don't, Mat..." I plead because I can already see myself doing something stupid here.

"We are not together." He stands up, making me stumble back a little.

His hand quickly go to my lower back to steady me, and I let out a surprised gasp. "What?

"Gia and I. We're not together. Have never been."

_____

A/N: Hmmm... How about some bread to go with all that jelly, huh? lol

Hope you're enjoying Coming Home! <3 

Please don't forget to vote and follow me here for news and updates: CelesteABrook :)

XOXO

Celeste