“Hey, Casp, breathe. Wake up the boys we’ll look everywhere. Okay? We’ll find him. We will.”

I hoped we did, because if we didn’t I would never forgive myself. I was sleeping right next to him. I could have saved him. Dallas saved Troye, why couldn’t I save Mason? Was I that incompetent of a person? Why couldn’t I do anything right?

I’m just praying I get the chance to apologize.

~~

Sam

Terrance and Zeke had been prowling the town in their wolf forms all day, but there was still no sign of him. It was getting late, Casp and Dallas stopped for a slice of pizza before they would start driving around again. I was on my way back from checking the high school when I got a call from Damien.

“Hi Dame, what’s up?”

I smiled a little, remembering how we stayed up until 4 AM, eating dominos pizza and cinnamon sticks after having a little fun trying not wake my uncle. After all, Dame was banned from being at mine past 11 and he refused to let me at his house whatsoever.

“Sam?” he called out, drawing out the A in my name in a very un-Damien like way.

“Uh, yeah?” I asked, slightly confused by the unfamiliarity in his voice.

“I… I need your help, Sam,” he responded, his voice breathless, urgency leaking off his words. I straightened up in my seat and gripped the wheel tighter. He sounded like he was in trouble.

“Of course, where are you I’ll be right there.”

“I, I don’t know what’s going on Sam! I blacked out, I don’t know what happened!”

“Dame calm down! Baby it’s fine, I’ll be right there I promise just give me an address.”

The panicky tone of his voice had me struggling to remain calm, but I did for Damien’s sake.

“21 Hunt Street in Dover.”

That was the strange part. I wasn’t expecting him to give me an exact address. Didn’t he just say he didn’t where he was? He sounded as if he was reciting a script, the exact opposite of his fearful labored sentences from before.

“Okay I’ll be there soon.”

“Hurry,” he breathed, his anxious tone now returned. I felt my stomach churn.  Mason was missing and Damien sounds like he’s been abducted. There was no way this could get any worse.

“I’ll be right there, Dame. I love you.”

I barely even registered the slip of my tongue. I didn’t even hesitate; I believed the words I was saying. I didn’t even realize I had said it until I heard the sound of someone screaming “Sammy” in the background before the line went dead.

I bit my lip and stepped on the gas pedal. Dover was at least a 10-minute drive from Lakeview and it sounded like I didn’t have much time.

Swirls of Damien’s image ran through my mind as his phone call rang in the background. There was something not quite right about the way he sounded so frightened, never once calling me Sammy until after the call, even stretching out the A’s in his words. It sounded like it was Damien, but not Damien at the same time.

I slowed down, my eye catching a glimpse of the green and white “Hunt St.” sign, a graffitied penis drawn right next to the name. I would have laughed, but the place sucked the life right out of me. The road looked like a ghost town. It was an endless line of old worn down factories from the Pre WW1 era. Dover was a major export center for military supplies and uniforms, but none of the buildings had been used since then.