暗闇 Kurayama Pt 2

"The Darkness" cont.

Seikai was committed one hundred percent to his flight, but what he hadn't factored into any of his calculations, was the sun, suddenly deciding to reveal itself and arcing in light from all directions.

He had already set the projected bird call free, but the flicker of movement had caught the big man's eye, his head  just beginning to turn to the source, when a furious cry erupted from the dense forest to Seikai's left.

Caught by one error, Seikai still continued his flight, adjusting his aim as he sprang for the man's throat, but instead of a flip landing taking him to his feet, something like a fast moving rock, barrelled into his flight path, the sheer force of the impact knocking him sideways and into the snow, taking his breath away with it.

His head swam, as on reflex he fought off the attack which followed, forced to find his senses as criss cross lines of crimson appeared, with the sharp sting of metal in their wake.

There was no time to assess the situation, whoever this was, they were more than good, and springing to his feet, he only had the barest of seconds to throw himself flat and roll free of another onslaught.

The only really tangible thing about his attacker was the sheer rage which poured off him, and by the next heartbeat Seikai was using it to his advantage.

Keiro meanwhile, was fighting a losing battle.

With his sanity.

It was only at the last possible moment he'd seen the unmistakable blur of another shinobi. Had he been double crossed? Brought to this point just to be made a fool of?

No. The clothing was unfamiliar...wait…Koga…

His eyes had narrowed to a lethal focus as he saw his glory about to be snatched from his grasp….and something… something somewhere deep within him, finally snapped its final strand…and in a cascade of temper, his mind began to fray, sending him full pelt into a brand new destiny.

The old warrior, meanwhile, was clutching his throat, his lifeblood seeping through his fingers, Seikai might have been pushed off his aim, but the blade had still delivered a jagged gash, enough to keep the man occupied in trying to save his own life, anyway.

"You won't take this from me, you won't!" Keiro's voice hovered on the hysterical as he flew at Seikai again, barely keeping his balance across a sheet of ice which was suddenly under his feet, and he had to quickly roll to regain his balance.

It was enough for Seikai to get a strike back, and see the surprised expression on the other shinobi's face as first blood sang out in a line across his chest.

No one Keiro had ever encountered was as fast as him.

No one.

So it indeed was surprise and morbid fascination which held for a second, as he watched a dark crimson flood glue his clothing to his torso. The moment was fleeting, however as it proved to be more akin to adding an incendiary device to his already red mist of a temper.

"AAARRGH!" Keiro roared, the ricochet sending birds to flight and small creatures scurrying, the noise barely recognisable as being from a human throat,

"Who are you? Give me your name before you die!"

An evil laden laugh skipped behind the words, and brought a vow along with them,

"And you will die. .. Oh yes…painfully."

From higher up on the slope, Seikai rolled his eyes. The presence was skilled, gifted even,  he'd never before come up against someone who matched his speed, but that temper and ego....  thoroughly irritating.