Chapter 30 ~ Dylan

Mum woke me up as I heard her washing the dishes in to kitchen. She was already dressed for work and just rinsing her breakfast stuff when I walked in. It was a good thing Sky was quite a heavy sleeper because I was able to lift myself off the sofa without moving her two much. Her eyelids twitched a little when I lay her down against some cushions, but that was about it.

"Oh, Dylan, honey. I'm sorry. You two looked so peaceful I didn't want to disturb you." My mum said. I returned her smile. I was glad she wasn't annoyed of anything because we were just innocently sleeping on the couch after a long night, and nothing more.

"No problem. Sky's still asleep." I told her. She put down her dish and sighed, turning to face me.

"You don't know where Joe is, do you? He said something about going to a party you were going to. I thought it would be fairly okay so I let him go." She explained. I gulped.

"No I haven't seen him since late last night at the party. He didn't hang around for long." I shrugged. Mum drew me into a hug.

"Okay, well, when he comes back tell him he's not allowed to leave the house till I get back. I'm so worried about him. I just don't know what to do. I think it's for the best if I send him up to London to live with your Dad." She rubbed her eye. I agree des with her completely. It would be better if Joe left and Sky didn't have to worry anymore. He was my brother, yeah, but he had stepped over the line. I dragged a hand through my hair.

"Sure, Mum." She pointed to her cheek, gesturing for a kiss. I leant down and kissed her quickly and she grabbed her bag and headed off. She had only been gone five minutes when there was a knock on the door. Two police men stood in front of me. Unfortunately I knew them, because of Joe's previous problems. I awaited to hear what he'd done now.

"Mrs. Smith isn't in, us she?" One of them, Sergeant Thomas, asked.

"No, sir. She has gone to work I'm afraid." I replied.

"Can we come in?" Sergeant Thomas asked.

"Okay, but it'll have to be in the kitchen. Please be quiet coming through, my girlfriend is sleeping on the sofa." I told them. I led them in and offered a cup of tea or coffee. They declined.

"I have some bad news for you, Dylan." One declared scratching the subtle on his chin nervously. So many times I had heard these words before, but this time the officer seemed a lot more fidgety rather than serious or annoyed.

"Well, I'm sorry to tell you this, but we believe your brother, Joe Smith has been found dead in a car accident just outside of Sandfield."