51. dog

if anyone remembers the arctic char fiasco many chapters ago where i lost my shit over a fish (his name is arctic charlie by the way) i present: a marmot. this is where we are in our relationship now, everyone. now, prepare yourselves, and read on. 

"What are you doing here?" I say breathlessly to Fred and George as we slip past the door to Umbridge's office and run away as quietly as we can. We left the Inquisitorial Squad a pustule filled mess thanks to the twins' ingenious sweets, and now Ron is taking us to where he thinks Harry and Hermione will be.

"The Order," Fred replies, brushing his hair back as we turn a corner. "No time to explain!"

There really isn't, but I'm glad they're here. Using my powers would not have been the smart move there—besides, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad to see Fred anyway.

We sprint as fast as we can through the halls of Hogwarts, unaware of where we're going but completely trusting Ron who stares determinedly forward. All of a sudden, we collide with Harry and Hermione and almost fall over in the frenzy. They tell us what happened—them taking Umbridge to the Forbidden Forest to see Hagrid's Giant half-brother, Grawp, Umridge attacking the centaurs, the centaurs attacking Umbridge back—as we find a way to get to the Ministry.

**

I know as soon as Neville leads us over to one of the shelves of thousands of crystal balls that something is very, very wrong. Sirius is, as we thought, not here from what we can see—but each aisle descends into inky blackness that is purely unsettling. Harry picks up one of the crystal balls, which swirls with a cloudy mist, and we learn of the prophecy. One cannot live while the other survives.

Then I feel the violet section of my eye light up as my body subconsciously begins to thrum with energy, and I really know something is wrong. I look over to Fred, who is watching me carefully while everyone talks. "Guys?" he says, not breaking eye contact with me as he moves forward slowly.

Everyone else turns. "What is it, Fred?" says Luna, brushing her platinum curls back.

"Something is here with us," I whisper, curling my hands into fists slowly as my hands become encased in purple foxfire.

"Where is it, Vee? What is it?" Ginny says, flicking her wrist in a fluid motion and brandishing her wand.

I close my eyes, focusing my powers. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but I know the fox spirit in me isn't happy about something. Suddenly, my eyes fly open and I turn to the darkness behind me, flicking out my wand as well. Everyone follows suit and just as I turn, a rush of black smoke almost knocks us over.

Death Eaters.

We fight for a while, flicking spells back and forth when we can—but mostly, we run. Some of the strongest students we have are in this room and are no match for the seasoned Death Eaters, despite Ginny throwing out some incredibly powerful spells and Allie and Julian fighting with their backs resting against one another, spinning in a slow circle as they each fire spells one after the other. I use everything I have, but everyone is too close to each other—I can't land anything well enough without damaging my friends.

**

We make our escape and fling open one of the doors, eventually landing in a large, circular room with a number of thumps. We all stand to check on each other, and once everyone is confirmed to be here and okay, we survey our surroundings. The black glossy tiles covering the walls reflect something in the middle—a huge archway with white mist stretching over the expanse of it. Something about it draws me to it, and that's when I begin to hear the whispers. Voices that are indistinguishable that make me feel as if I step a little closer toward the arch, I'll be able to make it out. I see Harry stepping towards it as well, brows furrowed as he flips the crystal ball over in his hands. "The voices. Can you tell what they're saying?" Harry says, walking forwards.