28. not alone

Y'all I probably hate me just as much as you do but I will explain where I was the last month and a half in the Author's Note just please enjoy this update and the other little chapter coming up next okay thanks!!!!!!!

All I can see is a white ceiling.

When I look down at myself, I realize I'm in the infirmary, next to Ron, who is passed out with his leg propped up. I'm only wearing my white tank top, and my shoulder is bandaged up.

When I finally remember why, I almost have an aneurysm.

Am I sure that whole thing wasn't a fucking fever dream?

No, my shoulder is bandaged. The scent in the air is pungeant- I realize with a jolt that it's me, and I stink of pond water.

The last thing I clearly remember is breaking my own thumb to kickstart my Kitsune powers, and then all I have is snatches of things. Closing my eyes, I focus hard on the memories.

The pain in my thumb isn't as much as I expected, and it disappears almost instantly, thanks to the purple glow that spreads through my veins and heals me. I watch wide eyed as it reaches my infected shoulder and makes the blackish veins glow too, but they still don't go away. Oh god... do I really smell burning flesh? I retch into my mouth at the notion but manage to ignore it- I know it's my burning flesh, so what good is screaming at the sight of my own burning flesh going to do for the boy who lived, the smartest witch of her age, Ron, an ex-prisoner Animagus and a werewolf? Jack shit, that's what.

FuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckFUCK, I think to myself as I whip out my wand and look up at the fighting dog and werewolf in the distance. Baring my teeth in an animalistic growl, I leap into the fight.

"Good, you're awake," Hermione says, running over to me with a thankful smile on her face. She looks over at Ron, and then back at something behind the white curtain separating us from the rest of the infirmary. "How are you feeling?"

I manage a dry smile at her. "Fantastic," I reply. I grunt as I sit up, rubbing my head as it begins to pound.

"Oh!" Hermione exclaims, grabbing a glass full of a strange blue liquid from the bedside table. "Madam Pomfrey said to give you this as soon as you woke up, and to make sure you drink all of it."

I grimace as I pick up the glass and catch some of the smell. "Hermione, it stinks."

She shrugs. "So do you. Now, Venus Jordan, bottoms up!" she says, crossing her arms and eyeing me expectantly.

"Accio gag reflex," I mutter as I take a sip. I didn't need a spell after all- I cough and splutter at the foul taste of the blue fluid, and I shake my head in protest at Hermione.

"I'm fine, Hermione, I swear- look!" I say, standing up. I do this too fast and immediately stumble to one side.

The small witch grabs me and hauls me quite roughly back to my seat on the side of the bed. "I'm sorry, Venus, but I'm not leaving until you drink all of it."

It takes a few tries, but I finally manage to get all of it down. As I stare at the tiny dregs of blue liquid swirling around my glass, I remember more.

I am knocked into the water by the force of the first Dementor beginning to perform the Kiss on me. I manage to grab my wand and perform a Patronus charm to repel it, but I'm too busy coughing and spluttering to see two more sneak up behind me. Harry, from his position kneeling over an unconscious Sirius, keeps them off. I wipe my mouth and crawl over to him, and we sit back to back on one side of Sirius, yelling expecto patronum until our voices are hoarse. We're strong, I think to myself as Harry and I each fall to the side and I hit my head on a rock. We did well. I look over at Harry, who is further away than I remembered. I can feel my powers weakening by the second, and I can feel the infection from Remus' claws beginning to spread again. I reach out to Harry as another Dementor swoops down and begins to suck the life out of me. Please, let me reach him, I think as I stretch my arm out as far as I can. I realize distractedly I'm reaching over Sirius, and I gather what little strength I have left in me to roll towards him. My head is on his arm, but I can see Harry over the top of his bleeding chest- I reach further because this boy has lost so much, and I can't let him die knowing he's losing himself alone too. He sees me, and I can hear him screaming in pain as he wrenches his body from the icy grip of the Dementor and roll towards me. His head is on Sirius' shoulder, and we are able to touch now. I grip his arm tightly.