14. race

The picture sort of relates to this chapter but it also REALLY doesn't but I wanted an excuse to use this beautiful pic of Daisy Ridley giving Mark Hamill a piggyback... Enjoy

                Hufflepuff offers us a rematch, but Wood won't swallow his pride and declines. Julian tells us that Diggory feels really bad about what happened, but that still doesn't change Wood's mind. Harry stays in the infirmary for a little while longer, and then he's released.

                A few days pass and it begins to feel like we are returning to normalcy. I tell Fred this one day while we're sitting in the library after our last class of the day, and he laughs. I look up from my textbook, and he puts down his mini catapult.

                "Vee, nothing about us is normal."

                I'm suddenly reminded of Lee, and then I remember why. "Lee said that to me once, after I got my wand and Ollivander was being weird because he realized I was a Kitsune."

                Fred grins. "I knew we were rubbing off on him. Me and George said that to him once while everyone was getting Petrified. He was complaining about how much weird stuff kept happening."

                "Should've known Lee couldn't think of something that inspirational on his own."

                "You think I'm inspirational?" Fred replies immediately, winking at me.

                Despite my attempts not to, I blush hard. I duck my head so my hair falls in front of my face, but Fred takes his feet off the table and leans forwards. Ever so gently, he brushes a curl out of my face and his lips are a whisper on the tip of my nose and oh god. I'm drowning in Fred. When he pulls away, my cheeks are still tinged with red and he just grins, leaning back and picking up his catapult. He scrunches up a piece of parchment and puts it in the catapult, hitting a girl a few tables over right in the back. I bit my lip to stop from laughing, and when Fred sees this he catches my bottom lip with his thumb and forefinger. "I've told you not to do that in public. It makes me want to do things to you that are... probably not appropriate here," he murmurs, almost growling. No one would ever peg Fred to be like this, but trust me- the whole 'I'm dominant and overprotective but not stifling or abusive' thing looks good on him.

                "Fred," I whisper. "Stop looking at me like that."

                "Like what?"

                "Like you want to kiss me," I pout.

                "Well, I do," he says, looking away. When he looks back, he scrunches his nose up. "If I have to stop looking at you like that, you have to stop pouting. Please."

                I look at Fred's pleading expression and laugh a little. "This whole not-making out with each other thing is going to be hard, isn't it?"

                Fred nods vigorously, but then he sighs. "I may hate it, and you might hate it too, but in the long run I still think it'll be better."

                I groan. "There's so much going on right now, I don't know what to do with myself."

                "I know what we should do."

**

                A few minutes later I find myself perched on a barrel in the kitchens with Fred beside me. Nimmy and Leonardo are running back and forth and giving us samples of food, because they are insisting we have to try everything they're going to be serving tonight to make sure it's perfect. We try and tell them that it always is, but eventually we give in.