09. avoid

This gif is Fred most of the chapter btw...

Fred's POV

The moment I kissed her, everything was right in the world.

We both needed it, in different ways. I think she needed someone- I needed her. I tell myself we were both drunk, and that it was a mistake. I'll admit, this is partially to conserve my pride. But I know that I was barely buzzing from the alcohol, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

So why do I avoid her for three days?

The morning after it happened, it takes me a few moments after I wake up to truly grasp what happened. I kissed her. She kissed me back. And then I didn't look at her for the rest of the night. I wish I could justify myself in a way that would excuse my actions, but I have no idea. Being completely honest, I'm just afraid that she'll tell me that she was drunk and that it was a mistake. On top of that...

...if I see her, I'll want to kiss her again. And if I wanted to before, I sure as hell do now.

George comes to me soon and asks me why I'm avoiding her, and I explain it to him. He knew we kissed, but after I explain why I can't see her he understands the situation. "I'd like you to know, Fred, that I think this is a bloody awful idea," he says, shaking his head at me. "this isn't going to help at all. But I know how stubborn you are, and only doing this will make you see how shit it is. So if she asks, I'll tell her I don't know where you are."

**

"Can you explain to me why my sister is sulking around the school looking for you?" Lee demands, dropping his books on the common room table with a little more force than necessary.

I try to feign nonchalance and I furrow my brows, forcing myself to make eye contact with him instead of avoiding it like I do when I'm lying. "I didn't know she was looking for me," I tell him.

He says nothing and crosses his arms, raising one eyebrow. After a few moments, he leans forward and puts his hands on the table. "Look, it doesn't matter if you two kissed or something happened in that closet... I know something did happen, though, and I know Vee won't tell me about it. What I don't know though is why you're avoiding her, and why she looks like she hasn't slept in three days. So you better talk to her, or I will find you."

Lee speaks in such a way that for once he actually sounds menacing, and I nod silently. He grins, picks up his books, and leaves me sitting there, stunned.

I'm glad I had a free period in my last class of the day, because when everyone comes streaming in from the other classes, I manage to realize that Vee will be here soon and dart upstairs. I read for about half an hour (although I don't really pay attention to the words) and then I cautiously come back down to the common room. Vee must already be in her dorm. When I sit down on the sofa, I can't think straight.

Why am I so attracted to Vee after mere weeks of knowing her? Why am I avoiding her? These two questions run around in my head for a while, and my thoughts are cut off abruptly when I hear someone mumble the passcode outside the door. I look up when I hear footsteps, and holy shit, it's Venus bloody Jordan. Her black ringlets bounce when she walks, and when she sees me trying to slip upstairs without her noticing she storms over. "Fred Weasley!" she says sharply, and her use of my full name makes me stop in my tracks. I even slide a little into the arm of the sofa. "You listen to me. Quite frankly, I'm not completely sure why you're avoiding me, and I will track you down again and we will talk about that, but there are more important things right now. Where is Harry?"