06. save them

I'm sitting at the dining table with Julian and Allie and Lee eating breakfast before class when George and Fred enter the dining hall. I catch George's eyes and wave, and then I turn to Fred just to see him blanch under my gaze and turn away, whispering something to George over his shoulder before leaving quickly. George's eyes widen in understanding of Fred's words, but by the time he arrives at our table his expression is neutral.

"Where's your other half?" Lee says confusedly, glancing around. I guess he's expecting to see Fred hiding behind something, ready to scare him, because he visibly relaxes when George replies.

"Smells like raspberries," George explains vaguely, leaning over the table to grab a box of cereal and pour a mountain into his bowl.

Lee nods in understanding, but Jullian, Allie and I look between them with confused expressions on our faces. Seeing this, Lee fills us in. "Raspberries in general make Fred feel sick, but the smell is really what gets him. Dunno why, but he's had the problem since I met him. They made raspberry tarts this morning, so he'll be spewing his guts out by now."

"That's terrible," Allie says, scrunching up her nose.

"Gross," Julian mumbles, not really listening. He's too busy staring at a Ravenclaw girl intensely.

"Dude," I say, smacking his arm to jolt him out of his reverie. "Do you even know her name? Or are you just going to eye-fuck her from afar?"

Julian snorts unattractively. "Of course I know her name," he replies smoothly. "Okay, munchkins. I'm gonna go flirt. See you in Charms!" And with that, he starts to saunter away towards his latest conquest, but he turns back and leans over our table. "Her name is Cho Chang."

Allie hisses through her teeth, shaking her head as she takes a bite of her scrambled eggs.

"What is it?" George says.

"Cho is... unavailable. Not that she knows it. I guarantee that he's here," she says, scanning the room for someone. She grins when she's found him. "There he is. This should be good."

"Who's here? What?" Lee says, furrowing his brows.

Allie points, and we follow her finger. I burst out laughing when I see who it is, because Julian is so dead. Cedric Diggory is sitting at the Hufflepuff table, clenching his fists and glaring at Julian, who is leaning against the Ravenclaw table and shooting Cho his most dazzling smile. It's hard not to know who Cedric is- not only is he in my Potions class, but he's immensely popular. Everyone knows that he has eyes for Cho, and Ben Finkle had a black eye for days after Cedric saw him staring up Cho's skirt in the library.

Cedric stands up, and Julian immediately sees and pales a little. He murmurs a few words to Cho, who blushes and looks at the ground, and then he makes his way... towards Cedric?

They stand very close to each other and talk quickly, and I'm almost certain that Cedric is about to punch him but then Julian says something short and they're both laughing together. Boys.

When Julian comes and sits back down at our table, we're all staring at him incredulously. Fred and Lee poke his cheeks a few times to make sure he's really here, and he laughs. "Dude! What happened?" Lee says excitedly.

"We were all sure you were gonna die, mate," George adds.

"First of all, thanks for the vote of confidence," Julian says, chuckling. "And second of all, we talked, and I realized I was overstepping. I thought she was fair game, but Ced called dibs, so..."

I spit out my pumpkin juice and it sprays all over my food. I ignore it and stare wide eyed at Julian, and I see that Allie is doing the same. "I'm sorry, what? He called dibs?" I say.