Chapter 1 - Black Rabbit

Start from the beginning

   Why me, universe? She thought, racing away in a full sprint now, adrenaline pushing her forward. She felt like a gazelle being chased down by a lion, faster than her pursuer but losing stamina fast. She was desperate, darting down random alleyways hoping to lose the man trailing her, when she realised.

   There was more than one of them. A red haired man in the same attire as the first cut Seongmin off when she tried to race down a new path, and one with jet black hair and piercing deep blue eyes did the same a few moments later. Seongmin's heart was practically beating out of her chest as she ran, sweat pouring down her face despite the cool fall air, black and teal dyed hair flying behind her like a horse's mane. All she could think was run, run, run.

   So that's what she did.

   She followed her thoughts.

   Straight into a dead end.

   She tried to turn around to escape before the men reached her, but she was too late. The silver haired man came around the nearest corner, dark eyes glinting in satisfaction as he raised what was indeed a gun in his hand, pointing it straight at Seongmin.

   "Don't move, sweetie. We'd prefer it if you were alive, but try anything and I won't hesitate to use this." His voice was deep and gravely, reminding Seongmin of the mystery novels she used to read, how the bad guys always seemed to have voices like his.

   Not really helpful, considering the bad guys were almost always murderers.

   "Hey, whoa, can we talk?" Seongmin put her hands up, warily looking around as the other two men came out from behind corners as well, stalking towards her like cats to a bird.

   "What's there to talk about?" The red haired man asked, his slightly higher voice holding a taunting edge. "We caught you, you're our captive now, and you're dead if you try anything. I can't think of any other topic of interest for conversation."

   "Shut up, Kim." The silver haired man hadn't taken his eyes- or his gun- off of Seongmin, but he directed his voice, slightly irritated, at the red haired man.

   "Aw, come on, Song, can't I tease her a bit?"

   "No, you idiot! Shut it!"

   The red haired man, Kim, apparently, grumbled a bit but stood down. Song turned his attention back to Seongmin.

   "What are we going to do with her?" The black haired man in the back spoke up for the first time. Seongmin was shocked to hear that he sounded young. He couldn't be older than a teenager. His voice didn't match his attire or intimidating eyes, and Seongmin wondered how he'd gotten into this gang, feeling a stab of sympathy.

   He probably joined by choice, she reminded herself. She didn't know this kid, or his story. She snapped herself back to reality, blocking out her emotions.

   "You don't have to do anything with me," she stated, hoping she sounded more confident than she felt. "You could just let me go, and I won't turn you in. We'll be even, won't owe each other anything. That's how this works, right?"

   Song just laughed. "Wow, you really are clueless." I am offended, Seongmin thought, but held her tongue. "In answer to Gang's question, we have a very specific purpose for you. One that's not for your ears."

   Still holding the gun, he glanced at Kim and nodded. Kim reached into a black backpack he'd been carrying and pulled out a length of rope.

   "Whoa, hold up!" Seongmin shouted. The men paid her no attention, Song walking up and holding the gun right to her head.