🧵 Eleven: Make Me Feel Like I'm Living a Tan France Dream

Start from the beginning

"You look puzzled," Hugo commented.

"A little. I never realized how much you guys do. I mean, Georgie never..."

Tension formed in his neck and shoulders, making his muscles bunch under his shirt. "Lance and I try not to make a big deal of it. We already have one absent parent, why rub it in about the other one? But I guess she'll have to face it in a year when I leave." His tone dripped with frustration as his gaze wandered to a family photo. She could see the pain it caused him to think about leaving, but there was also desperation like a wild animal trapped in a cage, hoping to break free.

Alex wanted to wrap her arms around him, take away some of his hurt but was afraid it'd be awkward, or worse— rejected. Switching topics, she asked, "Have you thought about which colleges you're applying to?"

Gratitude and relief shined in his eyes. "I know which ones I want, but they're not on Dad's list so..." He looked down at his plate, his lips twisted into a wry look. "Let the battle of wills begin."

"I'd put my money on you." She used to think Hugo was this infallible guy who never faced difficulties, but this was an eye-opener. She liked him better because of it. It made him seem more real, more accessible to someone like her. "Tell me about the schools you want to go to."

As they sat cross-legged on the floor, eating Chinese and Mexican, Hugo chatted about universities and various programs he was interested in. "I'd love to major in computer science so I can design games, but Dad wants me to get a law degree so I can become a partner in his firm."

"But it's your life," she argued.

He set his drink down as he chuckled. "You haven't been around him much, have you?"

"Not really." Mr. Lorde was either at work or busy in his home office. "Your dad intimidates me." He wore a stern expression like it was a second suit—the complete opposite of his kids.

Hugo leaned in, his arm brushing hers. "Wanna know a secret?" His breath fanned her skin and underneath the spices and rich meat was the soft breeze of ocean that she'd come to associate with Hugo.

"What?" she whispered back, awareness humming through her.

"He kinda intimidates me too," Hugo admitted. His voice was dead serious, but then he winked, and she couldn't tell if the confession was real or not.

Hugo leaned back against the couch and stretched his legs on the rug, crossing them at the ankles. "Enough about my dad. A little birdie told me you've jumped ship and you're with the high school drama club now."

She silently groaned. "Has Alexx been complaining?"

He drew his fingers apart. "A bit. It sucks you're not at Playhouse. It would have made those long Saturdays and Sundays more bearable."

Her heart drummed in her chest. "I know what you mean." She imagined them taking breaks together, or giving flirty looks across the stage. Now they would have to settle for small pockets of time like this.

"How's it going with Keya and Cleo?" he asked.

She blinked. "You know them?"

"Cleo used to be good friends with Georgie until she met Keya."

She stared at him in disbelief. "I don't believe you."

Hugo nodded. "They did everything together in elementary school, and then one day, Georgie came home crying. Said Cleo didn't want to be her friend anymore. Next day, Cleo was tight with Keya, and it's been that way ever since."

"She's never mentioned Cleo. Why would Georgie keep her a secret?" A sliver of betrayal became stuck in her throat.

"She doesn't like thinking about Cleo, much less talking about her. It hits too close to home."