🧵 Nine: It's a Chapter of the Times

Start from the beginning

"I'm pretty sure they're aware. You don't exactly keep it a secret." Subtlety wasn't Alexx's forte.

"It's like a dream come true." Her best friend clapped her hands and twirled. "Oh my god, just think. We could officially be sisters!" Her eyes widened and her mouth rounded into an O. "If you guys marry, we'd have the same name! Alexandria Lorde!"

Alex's knees grew weak. She stumbled back until her legs hit Alexx's bed and collapsed on it, disturbing the perfectly tucked covers and mound of pillows. "Okay, whoa. Don't get ahead of yourself. We haven't even been on our first date yet." And the thought of having the same name as Alexx didn't make her squeal in delight.

"Well, what's the hold-up? Do you want me to kick his ass into gear?" Alexx's chest puffed up as she marched to the door. "I can't believe he hasn't—"

Alex ran to the door and blocked the door with her arms. "He did, he did. Calm down. He wants to go out Friday night."

"This Friday?" Alexx slapped a hand to her forehead and paced. "Okay, we have so much to do! We need to start a list." She sat at her desk and pulled out her stationary. Pen poised over paper, she asked, "First of all, where's he taking you? And when is he picking you up?"

"Um, I don't really know." A text popped up on Alex's phone. "I haven't exactly confirmed the date yet."

Hugo: Everything okay with you and my sis? She's not giving you a hard time, is she?

Any reservation Alex held, fled the minute she read his text. Hugo was so much more than she initially thought. She saw a slice of that after he opened up to her about wanting to get into gaming, but this proved she had miles to go before she got to know the real Hugo Lorde. She couldn't wait.

"You haven't said yes? Why not?" her best friend asked. Well, demanded.

Alex was no fool and kept mum about Ravi. Alexx loved her, but she would knife anyone who dared to hurt her brothers. "I told him I had to talk to you first. Make sure you were okay with it."

Her best friend hopped off her chair and tackled Alex into a bear hug. "This is why we're best friends."

"Because I consult you first before going on a date?" she teased.

"Duh," Alexx replied. Her wry amusement faded as she added, "And because you care."

Alex pushed away the niggling guilt and responded to Hugo.

Alex: Everything is good. And Friday night is a go.

Hugo: Told you ;)

Alexx peered over her arm. "Is that him now?"

"How could you tell?"

"You have a goofy grin on your face."

She quickly wiped it off. "I do not."

Her best friend went back to her desk and began making her list. "Ask him the details so we can plan the logistics of it all. I mean should I come over to your house to get you ready or should you come over here? It would be easier if you're here, but then he can't pick you up all proper like—"

Alex tuned her out as another text popped up.

Hugo: I bet she's harassing you for the details. Tell her I'll pick you up at your place at seven. Wear whatever you want. You always look great :)

She showed Alexx the text.

"Wear whatever?" Alexx scrunched her nose. "Boys. They'll never understand the importance of accessorizing. Do you want to borrow something from me? I just bought this super cute dress. Never worn."