Chapter 29: Healing

When Brian goes in for his 2 week check up, he sits quietly on the doctors check up bed feeling like an idiot. He asked Melanie to come in with him but she refused, telling him she'd be waiting out in the waiting room for him. When the doctor comes in, he has good news. "Brian, your ribs are recovering. Whatever you're doing, keep it up."

"I'm not doing anything" he says back "I'm going crazy doc'."

The doctor smiles and laughs "well, you can start slowly walking around more then just to the bathroom. Maybe walk around the house, another week and you can walk down the street."

Brian asks "so the splints gonna come off today?" He feels a bit of relief but also worries. Melanie said when he's able to take care of himself she's going to take some time to figure things out. He tried for days talking to her about things but she would just sigh and walk out. Once he stopped talking about it, things seemed to be okay with them. They would watch old movies together, read comics, and even laughed at some internet trolls the other day. He wasn't sure if things were getting better and if she'd still follow through but he's getting better and another week or two he'll be able to do move around more normal. The doctor pulls him out of his thoughts after taking the splint off, "it looks good, but if it starts to swell or feel bad, put it back on for a few days."

"Got it. So when do you wanna see me again?" He asks, standing up.

The doctor helps him with the crutches and answers "come back in a week and we'll get the stitches out. Remember, take it easy. You're not out of the woods yet." Brian heads to the door as he finishes up "you can still get pneumonia which wouldn't be good. How are you on pain meds? You need some more?"

Brian nods "yeah, I could use some more. I'm not out but still using it as directed. A lot of pain still." He informs him, feeling his ribs hurt anytime he breathes. The doctor quickly writes a prescription and hands it to him. "Thanks" Brian gives him a head nod, then goes out the door towards the waiting room.

When Brian comes out of the doctors office she stands, wondering if things will be better or worse. He comes out with his crutches and she notices the stint is off. She comments as he gets closer "the stints gone, that's good."

He nods, moving to get in front of the wheelchair "I can start walking around the house more. Another week and walk up and down the street."

"That's great. I'm glad you're getting better babe." She leans down and kisses him on the cheek. Brian is surprised at this, he turns his head to meet her eyes.

She mumbles an "I'm sorry"

But he quickly tells her "don't be." It the first time they've touched romantically since she found out about the letter. His stomach turns and he admits "it was nice."

Melanie also admits "Yea. It was." She helps adjust the crutches on his lap and they head out of the office. Melanie helps Brian into his Jeep and drives them both back to his place. Although he wasn't suppose to start walking around too much already, he couldn't help it and began moving around his house at least three times a day. Within the week he started moving more independently and feeling better every day. One week after his appointment, Melanie woke up before Brian, packed up her clothes and left. When Brian woke up, he moved his arm like he has been doing to see if she was there and his stomach dropped when she wasn't. He sat up and looked around, noticing her things are all gone. He grabs his phone to call her but sees a text waiting for him.

"Brian,

I'm so glad you're healing so well and in a timely manner. It's been so hard watching you be in pain the past few weeks. I hope that helps you understand why I left this morning. I know it seems like we've been getting better but I just don't feel it. I still feel betrayed and hurt by your actions and everyday has been a struggle for me. I love you, I love you so much. I hope you understand why I need to take this time a part. Please, take care of yourself and let yourself heal. We'll talk soon.

I'll love you forever,

Melanie"

Brian's heart is hurting more then it ever has as he reads the text over and over again. It takes almost an hour for him to get the energy back to get out of bed and get himself cleaned up for the day. After he dresses, he makes his way to the kitchen, where he sees her engagement ring sitting on the counter. That's when he loses it. He drops his crutches and hobbles over to the counter. Taking the ring and throwing it against the wall "fuck!" He continues to throw anything close to him against the wall, breaking some glasses and photos on the wall. When there's nothing close enough to him anymore, he struggles to make his way to the couch where he plops down and wallows in the misery he put himself in.