Chapter 35: Returning to Work

Lenny finished everything he needed to do at Brian's and was about to head out when he decided to tell him that she was back at work today, "soo melanie's back"

Brian's eyes glance up from his phone but he doesn't move otherwise. He averts them back to his phone and tries to casually ask, "ya? She doing ok?"

Lenny shrugs, "maybe? She seemed ok, but also, like different. I think she's annoyed that Viv was there doing her job." Lenny continues to ramble his thoughts as he usually does, "but like, girl, what do you expect?" He claps his hands furiously, "you left for weeks, someone had to pick up that slack!"

"How does she seem different?" He asks, now putting his phone down.

Lenny shrugs, "not sure, just different."

Brian hums, "well thanks for letting me know. I guess I should prepare myself to see her around the set next week for awhile."

"Probably. She was still trying to catch up on everything she missed when I was leaving. Anyway, I gotta head out. I'll call you tomorrow." Lenny stops the conversation and leaves. Brian moves to his room and pops 3 pain pills to knock himself out. He knows he has to prepare himself,  but not right away.

Two more days go by before Brian and Lenny talk face to face. They review some scheduling things and confirm a doctors appointment before the conversation turns more casual. Brian asks, "you seem hung over, did you go out with the new girl again?" He chuckles.

"No! Ooh, I forgot to tell you." Lenny quickly lowers his voice as if it's some secret "I dropped some molly last night with Mel, it was crazy. She never wanted to do that crap with me but girl was fire last night." He realizes what he said and stops "oop, sorry. You probably don't want to hear about our night."

"What? No, it's iight. Melanie took molly?" Brian was confused, Melanie drank, but she didn't do drugs. At least not the Melanie he knew.

Lenny shrugs "probably needed to let off some more steam." But Lenny doesn't stop there and thinks out loud again "but I did say the other day how it was liked she changed. Maybe she's getting more fun." Lenny realizes what he said and adds "no offense."

Brian shrugs at him "none taken" but is actually to concerned about Melanie to really think about what Lenny is saying. Brian decides then that he's going to get his doctor to sign off on his return to work a few days sooner and head in after his appointment. When he goes to sleep that night, he does so without pain meds, wanting a clear head in the morning. When he wakes up, his leg hurts more then usual, instead of popping the normal 3, he takes one, before heading to the shower to get ready. It takes longer to move around, so he starts his days earlier and earlier then he would like. The days of jumping out of bed, hoping in for a quick rinse and running out the door are gone. At least for now.

Although Brian was determined to get signed back to work early, the doctor still put a restriction on him. No standing for long periods of time, walking should still be limited as his ribs are still recovering and still 2 more weeks before he could fly again. Brian still makes his way to the office, eager to see Melanie again. When he gets there, everything seems to be going as normal as ever. He spots the new assistant, who spots him at the same time and stands up with a large beautiful smile, "Brian Quinn! I'm so excited to finally meet you!"

She comes over and puts her hand out to shake his and he accepts, adjusting how he's standing so he's not resting it all on his bad leg, "you must be Viv, hi. It's nice to meet you." He tells her.

She returns with something else but he doesn't catch it as he spots Melanie walking in from another room with her head in her notebook. "Uhh, Brian?" Viv grabs his attention.

"I'm sorry, what?" He looks to her and apologizes.

She says again, "I was wondering if I could get you anything? Coffee? Water?"

"I'm fine, thank you. Would you excuse me?" Brian holds up a finger to gesture he'd only be a minute but he walks off without waiting for a response.

Brian slowly makes his way towards Melanie, who doesn't look as refreshed or well kept as she usually does for work. Brian notices the details of her tangled hair and tired eyes. He starts to worry about her, but he manages to make it to her desk faster than he thought and she looks up to him, a flat look in her eyes, "hi Brian, it's great to see you out and about."

Her smile is fake, and she's hiding something. Brian knows not to ask, not here, so he simply says, "hi. I've missed you."

Melanie's fake smile falters as she looks down for a split moment. She looks back to him and asks, "do you need anything? Lenny is off helping Shelly with something but I'm sure Viv can help you." She gestures for the new assistant to come over to the two of them.

Brian shakes his head, "no, no. I'm alright, I just wanted to check in with you."

"We'll I'm good, thank you. I'm happy you seem to be doing good too." She says, not even asking him how he is.

Melanie knew Brian was coming back today, so she decided to be as neutral as she could be. Before he got there, she took a weed gummy to relax and it helped calm her nerves. She only wanted to cry a little bit when she saw him, and she knew that was better then losing it in front of him and everyone else she works with. Brian bites his lip but has nothing else to say. He knows not to push talking with her right now in front of everyone, and with Viv now standing directly next to him, he feels awkward just standing there staring at Melanie. He looks to Viv and asks, "where's Joe?"

"I sent him home to be with his family. With filming coming up for the movie he will be away for awhile so he should spend as much time as he can with them now, don't you think?" She replies.

Viv knows a bit about Melanie and Brian, but she will do whatever she can to make this situation not awkward. She's happy to have this job and will do whatever it takes to keep it. Melanie grumbles, "so sweet"

Brian can catch on to her annoyed tone because he knows her so well but Viv just beams with pride. Brian agrees with her though, and replies, "that's great, I know he's going to miss them."

"Let's catch up later?" Brian asks Melanie.

Melanie looks up and smirks and nods to agree. Brian smirks back but knows she's not going to try and catch up later with him. He leaves to find Sal of Murray, wanting so badly to pop a few more pain pills.