Chapter 36: Jealousy Stings

Filming of the movie began a week later at the end of May. They took 4 days to shoot in Staten Island, before heading to Delaware. Although Melanie is back at work and is doing everything she needs to, Sal can tell she's off. It's just little things she used to do for him, to go above and beyond, were not being done. She was running late more often and just generally not happy to be around. Sal did what he could to make her feel better, but after a week he gave up, wanting to enjoy this experience of making this movie they all worked so hard to get to. Sal knows he will need to have a conversation with her about her work, but he can wait until after the movie films. He recognizes the grief she is going through from losing her mom and from breaking up with Q, and she is still doing her job. After Delaware, the entire team heads to D.C.

After spending the day filming at the capital, Brian notices Melanie and Viv talking. The two seem to be getting along and Brian is happy Melanie is becoming friends with her. Brian decides to find Viv later on to check on how Melanie is doing. After dinner, Brian heads over to the block of rooms the staff of the movie are staying at. He knocks on Shelly and Viv's door and waits for an answer. Viv opens it and loudly beams, "hey Q, what can I do for you?"

"You got a few minutes to talk?" He asks, kicking his feet at the rocks below him.

"Yea, you wanna come in?" She asks, moving aside with a smile. He shrugs and agrees. All the while this short interaction was occurring, Melanie opened her to door to step out for an errand when she saw him at her door waiting. She peers from inside of her room, her head tilting to the left to see Viv open the door and pop out just a bit. She notices Viv's eyes light up and Brian must agree to go inside as he is soon out of sight. Melanie's jealousy stings her insides like venom and she turns back into her and Lenny's room to grab her personal cell and texts the guy from Georgia she met a few weeks prior.

Melanie: Hey, I'm gonna be in Atlanta over the weekend and for a few days after. Any chance of meeting up?"

Dave: I can make my way over to Atlanta, what you wanna do?

Melanie: Hang out, go out, whatever.

Dave and her make plans to go out to a club on Saturday after work. He has a friend in the area he can stay with so he'll be coming out with the two of them. When Melanie gets back from running her errand and finishes making plans with Dave, she asks Lenny if he wants to come along, "hey, what are your thoughts on going out Saturday in Atlanta?"

"Girl, you know I'm down for A-town. You have plans?" His excited eyes go to a squint when he asks as he lays flat on his stomach on his bed.

She shrugs, "I made a friend out this way when I was on my trip, he's gonna be in the area too."

"Mmmm. In the area." Lenny rolls his eyes "whatever girl, you do what you gotta do. I'm in!" He sits up and gasps "should we invite shelly and Viv?"

Although the venom still runs through her body from what she saw earlier, she smiles and nods knowing she needs to keep the peace, "yah! Let's make a thing of it."

"Yes! It's going to be epic. Ugh, I only have 2 days to figure out what I'm going to wear." Lenny stands up and heads to his half unpacked suitcase.

While Melanie was off making plans for the weekend, Brian was sitting on the edge of Shelly's bed confiding in the new assistant, "I was just wondering how Melanie's doing?"

"In relation to your breakup?" Viv asks, sitting on the other bed in the room. Brian nods and rubs his hand behind his neck. Viv answers, "I don't really know what you want me to say. I didn't know her before your break up and we are only now just getting to really get to know one another."

"Right" Brian nods a few times before just spitting out, "but like, you two are going out and stuff, right?"

"Yea, we've gone out a time or two with some others." She replies with a soft grin.

Brian huffs out, "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, and what you do in your time is totally fine and like, I get it, but I'm just wondering," he pauses for a brief second that felt like forever to him and asks, "is she.. is she doing drugs?"

Viv pushes her lips together, unsure of how to answer. Wording it that way makes it sound like she's addicted to drugs, that it's a bad thing. Viv decides to be honest, she tells him, "the first time we hung out she just drank but the last time the other night she did drop some Molly." Briand nods, already knowing that information from Lenny. Viv decides to stand up and take a seat next to him, she lowly tells him, "everyone takes break ups differently. Some people need to find an escape from reality for a bit, I'm sure she's fine. She seems to be doing alright at least." She shakes her head and her hair falls in front of her face. She smiles toothlessly and puts her hand on his leg, right above his knee.

Suddenly Brian is very aware of how close they are. He nods and stands up to leave, "alright. Well thank you for letting me pull your ear, sorry to bother you."

"Not a bother at all, I'm here for you and all the guys whenever you need." She smiles proudly towards him and follows him as he walks towards the door.

"Ok, well see ya tomorrow." Brian waves awkwardly as he walks out of her motel room. She smiles and waves. As Brian walks off towards his jeep to make his way to the hotel he's staying at, his brain strains to grasp what just happened. Was she trying to hit on him or is he so far out that he is taking a small friendly gesture and turning it into something more. He shakes his head to shake the thought from his brain and decides to just try and focus on the film, knowing the next two days are packed full.