Chapter 10

Cat's P.O.V

"Do you need any help with dinner?" I ask an elderly woman, one of the Woodbury survivors. Her name was Ellen.

"You could peel the potatoes if you wish?" She asks.

"Of course."

I grab the potatoes from the run earlier today. I grab the peeler and sit at one of the tables. In the real world, I would listen to music while doing jobs like this. I think of what I can sing and only one song comes into my head. Grabbing the first potato, I begin to to sing as I peel.

"I dreamed I was missing,

You were so scared.

But no one would listen,

Cause no one else cared.

After my dreaming,

I woke this fear.

What am I leaving,

When I'm done here?

So if you're asking me

I want you to know.

When my time comes,

Forget the wrongs that I've done.

Let me leave behind some reasons to be missed.

And don't resent me, when your feeling empty.

Keep me in your memory.

Leave out all the rest.

Forgetting all the hurt inside you've to hide so well.

Pretending someone else can't come and save me from myself.

I can't be who you are.

I can't be who you are."

As the song finishes, I peel my last potato. I put it in the bag and stand up to take it back to the kitchen. I turn and see a group of people looking at me. Daryl, Rick, Michonne, Maggie, Hershel, Glenn and Beth all stare at me. I flush with embarrassment at their looks.

"Sorry, I was just singing as I peeled. You know just something to do. I didn't mean to disturb you." I say, beginning to walk past them.

"Don't be. That was beautiful." Maggie smiles..

I laugh, "If only I could sing, that would have made it better."

"Trust me, I love that song and you sung it perfectly." Glenn praises.

"Uh, thanks. Well I better get these back to Ellen." I say, throwing the bag over my shoulder, trying to avoid Daryl intense stare.

"Let me help you with that." Rick says, taking the bag off me.

We walk in silence towards the kitchen.

"Are you alright?" He asks, looking at the ground as he walks.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"That song... Seemed to hold some meaning to you. Do you wanna talk about it?"

I shuffle uncomfortably, "Um, not really. Sorry it's just a touchy subject." I apologise.

"I understand. We all have things that are touchy for us." He says.

We walk into the kitchen and give Ellen the bag.

"Need anything else?" I ask her.

"No that should be fine. Thank you." She smiles.

"You're welcome." I say.

"What are you up to now?" I say to Rick.

"I'm gonna go help and rebuild the gateway. It's almost done and they need the manpower. You wanna join me?" He asks.

I shake my head, "I think I might take a nap before dinner."

He nods and heads off toward the exit. I sigh and turn toward the cell block. I walk up the steps slowly toward my cell, each step filled with pain and suffering. I pull the sheet across the door for privacy and lay on the bed. My arm is above my head, the other on my stomach. I slowly trace around my stomach. Today is a tough day for me because this is the day I lost James and Annie two years ago. I feel the silent tears begin to fall down my cheeks. I roll onto my side and curl into a ball and slowly cry myself to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------

***** The song above is Linkin Park's Leave Out All The Rest. All Rights and Reserves belong to them.*****