(3)

"I don't know what's happening. Quick Duran call Micheal."

"She's burning up Mrs Scott."

"I'll get her a wet cloth."

"Open the door too Priya and Caleb take Cassie to the other room."

"Come on Cassi. Let's play with the puppy outside. No don't worry Addie will be okay. She's just acting."

"I called Micheal. H says he'll be here soon. He says to check her arm."

"No Duran there is nothing there. Her birthday was 2 months ago. We would know if it was that."

"Megan we both know some people get it later on. Just check."

"Fine!"

"Oh no..."

________________________________

"Oh no..."

Why did Duran say oh no? Why do I need to pee so badly? Hell where am I?

I open my eyes and shut them immediately. The room so really bright so I have to open them slowly and allow my eyes to adjust.

The room is a little bit blurry but I recognise the stark white walls lined with shelves and the array of potted plants on the shelves. This is Micheal Rosse's home. He's the closest thing we have to a doctor here.

I was last here when my mom brought me in suspecting I had the Old Viruses but it turned out I could not have cow juice. He called it milk but that's just a weird name.

"Mom?", I call out. My throat feels as dry as a desert, it's like I haven't spoken in days. How long have I been here?

My mom enters the room in record time. She rushes to my side and gathers me in her arms, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Mom what happened?", I ask still a little dazed.

"I thought you'd be okay. I had no idea this would happen to you. I am so sorry Adeline. This is all my fault.", she manages to choke out.

"What are you talking about? Sorry for what?", I demand getting a little frustrated that she is not giving me an actual answer as to why I am here.

She pulls back and dashes her tears away with the back of her hand. She inhales and exhales deeply to steady her breathing before continuing.

"You passed out Addie and you've been comatose for 3 days."

3 days! Holy shit.

"Adeline there is something I didn't tell you. Your father didn't just walk out on us when I was pregnant with you. I had hoped that I never had to tell you this but now you have come of age and my worst nightmare has come true.

I met your dad I was very young and very naive Adeline. I didn't know about that world and the dangers that lurked in the back. I fell fast and hard for your dad and didn't ask any questions which I now know was a huge mistake. He hid something from me Adeline."

I raise a brow at her and remove my hands from hers.

"Mom what are you trying to say?", I ask slowly.

A sob escapes lips and she fights to keep her composure.

"What mom? Was he married? Do I have a brother or sister I don't know about?", I ask with wide eyes.

My mom lets out a sarcastic laughs and says, " I wish it were simple."

There's something worse than that?