(2)

"Please D.", I plead.
Duran is my mom's youngest brother and so my uncle. But he's only a few years older than I am. My parents adopted him when my mom was pregnant with me. His parents succumbed to the Old Virus, a disease that was released after the wars and ravaged the remaining population.

Most of us are immune now but some aren't so lucky. My own grandfather passed away from the disease and my grandmother fell into a deep depression. My mom practically raised my uncle while caring for me who was an infant.

"Ads your mom would kill me. There is no way in hell I am helping you sneak away to Alsmeer. Did you know your mom was trained in combat when we were kids? I did not get this from falling from a tree.", he exclaims pointing and the scar above his left eye.

"Don't be a woes, Duran. We were all trained in combat. In fact, I could knock you on your ass right now and force you to help me.", I reply with a threatening edge to my voice.

He just laughs in my face and ruffles my hair which he knows I hate.

"Please kid. I could take you short stuff. But you are my beloved niece and I would hate for anything to happen to you. Which is why I am not helping you. Besides you know that would crush your mom."

"He's right. That would definitely crush your mom."

Duran and I both whip our heads around to see my mom standing in the doorway.

"How'd you even know I was here? You're tracking me aren't you.", I accuse whilst point a finger her way.

"Actually Cassie wanted to see Duran's dog before he left.", she explains. "And I found your entourage along the way. "

Then Priya and Caleb walk in followed by my little sister who has Duran's puppy in her arms. 

Priya and Caleb have been my best friends for as long as I can remember. Priya is actually my cousin. Her dad married my mom's sister when she was 5. Her real mom died from the Old Virus. She was really close to my aunt and was devastated when she died. Aunty Kerusha was a member of the guard. An elite group of soldiers who protects the communities border from mutants and rival communities.

Unfortunately, some communities broke away from Alsmeer after butting heads with the Eldermense. They formed their own communities and we call them outsiders. They don't bother us much but sometimes, when there has been no rain for a really long time, they attack our communities for resources.

Priya's mom was part of one of those attacks and didn't make it. We met Caleb at her funeral. He came up to Priya and handed her some flowers that day and told her that when he grew up he wanted to be part of the guard and wanted to honor soldiers like Priya's mom. That was the first time I had seen her smile in days.

Ever since then the three of us have been inseparable. Which was a nightmare for every adult in our lives.

"I just wanted to make sure Mrs. Scott didn't kill you when she found out what you and Caleb were up to today.", Priya explains.

"Caleb you were with her?", my mom scolds.

"She made me Mrs. Scott. And how could I resist helping the future maker who would save us from extincti-"

"Oh save it. You two sound like parrots.", my mom cuts off.

Duran just chuckles and comes around from the workbench he was at. He picks up my sister who squeals and lets him lift her.

My sister Cassie is the sweetest child in the world. She's only 6 and wants to become a doctor one day and heal all those who suffer from the Old Virus. She's a spitting image of me with dark brown hair and hazel eyes. We don't share the same dad but that's a story I do not want to bring up. The only difference in our appearance her doe-shaped eyes opposed to my almond eyes and the dark freckles scattered across her skin.

"They are kids Meg. Leave them be, it's not like their hurting anybody.", my uncle says in our defense.

Immediately Priya's face goes a deep pink color and bits back a smile. Barf.

She has a huge crush on my uncle. The whole thing is pretty incestuous to me but she always defends that they aren't actually related and how we are 18 and he is only 23.

"Fine but you can bail them out of jail when the guard arrests them for some stupid idea they come up with.", my mom retorts.

"Mom that would never happen.", I explain. "We are too fast for the guard. Today we just let Gus catch us so he could say he got to catch the greatest maker in the world and the future Head of the Guard. "

My mom just rolls her eyes and goes help Cassie off from Duran's shoulders.

"So I was thinking we could go to Ricky's tonight. Caleb is finally 18 and I think it's about he goes to an underground club.", Priya suggests in a whisper.

"You read my mind. Nicole told me Ricky found finally learned how to brew this drink that messes you up way more than wine. I think she called it tequila. We can leave at-".

My words are cut off when I sense a burning sensation on my arm. The pain in blinding and I sink to my knees, clutching my arm. I think I hear my mom scream... or is that me? I can feel the burning intensify and it's like someone is branding me with a hot iron. I cannot think or speak or move. The last thing I see is my mom rushing over to me before I pass out.