I didn't think; my legs just moved on their own and when she waved me over, they turned around and betrayed the rest of my body, walking me back to where I came from.

''Oh, sor-'' my apologies died on my lips as I realized who I'd caught at the corner.
''Hey, Hope.''

''Hi, Ivy.''

There was one part of me that thought that she'd added nice highlights in her hair but the other part just kept repeating that I was still too close from Faye.

Now, my brain backed up my legs.
''Bye, Hope.''

                                               ☾

Going to the abandoned house? Check.
Seeing Faye there? Check.
Being not awkward about it? In progress.

But Cassie's individual magic had magnified and she'd apparently almost chocked Adam to death with her mind so I had to put aside the awkwardness and get over it altogether.
Damn it, Ivy!

But it didn't help much that the girl I'd spent the night dreaming about kept pacing around the room, arms crossed and watching Cassie from a close eye, just like all of us.

''You did that to me.'' Adam seemed frightened and Diana kept rubbing a hand over his back.
They were sitting together while Cassie kept her distance from them.

I leaned away from the wall and came to a stop before her.
''Hey,'' I crouched down and took a hold of her hand, ''Tell us what happened.''

''You don't want to do that,'' Faye's voice cut the moment in half, ''You never know, she could make you explode.''

''Faye,'' Diana warned.

''Well, it seems that I'm right.''

I ignored them both and squeezed Cassie's hand on her knee reassuringly.
''We're listening.''

''I don't know what happened.''

''You got upset,'' Diana said for her.

''My throat started closing up.'' Adam backed up.

''Like what happened with Luke.'' Melissa said, adopting the same position as Faye's.
''You did that, too.''

Faye shook her head and scoffed, ''Totally. Our friend Luke went up in flames.''

''What's wrong with you?''

''I don't know!'' Cassie jerked up and I was pushed back.
She looked at me on the floor and then at everyone around at all of us.
All she saw were frightened faces.

''It's always the short quiet ones you have to watch out for.''

''Shut up, Faye.'' Adam ran out of the room after Cassie and Diana helped me up.

''Are we scared of her now?''

''I don't know.''
Diana left through the door as well and I turned just in time to see Faye fishing something out of her bag.

''Did you take this from Cassie's book of shadows?''
Faye passed it to Melissa and she held it tight.

''There are a million pages in there. She'll never know. The point is, whoever wrote this spell practiced a different kind of magic than ours. Maybe the kind that doesn't need six other people to hold hands with?'' Faye looked pointedly at Melissa and I picked up my bag from the couch, adjusting the strap over my shoulder.

''Well I've never heard of any of these ingredients.''

''It's out of our realm of witchcra- hey! Where are you going?'' I assumed she meant me and turned around just as I'd reached the door.