Chapter 58: Great News

Laney...

"I'm joining the army," Were the last words I correctly heard exit out of Ray's mouth. After I heard that everything stood still. The argument both Mary and I had going on stopped and we were both at a lost for words.

"You're doing what?" she asked, reading my mind.

"I'm joining the army." He repeated again.

"How are you going to do that? You are HIV positive." I said, blasting his information out nonchalantly.

"Well, I thought about that too. And that's when i looked it up and no, the army does not recrute you if you are HIV positive. But then this came in the mail..."  I watched as Ray dug inside his back pocket and pulled out two papers that were stapled together and folded over a few times. He tossed it Mary's way and being as upset as I was, I  snatched it out her hand. Taking the smart route and not starting anything with me, she just rolled her eyes and leaned close enough to read.

        My eyes roamed and scanned over the paper not clearly reading it. There were words like sorry for the inconvience, and our machine was not giving clear orders. So many words and too little patience.

"What is this Ray?" I asked impaciently.

"You don't have HIV?" Mary questioned. I snapped my neck her way and then to Ray and watched as the corners of his lips curled up and he shined his teeth for all to see. He was so happy, he cheered in excitement.

"Nope sure don't. I'm clean! You remember when the clinic was saying that we had to wait for results because the machine wasn't running right? Well, there was something wrong with the machine and it gave me some sort of messed up results or something and to make a long story short  I'm clean!"

"Oh yeah, i do rememeber the machine being messed up, that's why it took forever to get back me and Chres's results. Congrats Ray" Mary congratulated him.

"Thank you very much." He grinned.

"The army is always looking for those willing to join. And we are happy to have Ray." Said the man taking my baby away. "And if you will excuse me I have a call to attend to. Ray let your parents know and we'll be in touch" he says shaking his hand

"Yes sir." Ray replied then showed the man out the door. After closing and locking the front door, Ray finally took the time out to look at me and realized how hurt I was. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the nigga and all but now I'm the only one walking around with this terrible disease.
It was silent

"Aww, man bae. I'm so sorry" he finally says

"No it's fine. I'm happy for you. Congrats love" I say with a genuine smile and kiss on his cheek.

"You're sure you're fine?"

"Absolutely, why wouldn't I be. You're clean!" I fake cheered with more than as hint of sarcasm

"I KNOW!!!" he cheered again my sarcasm going unnoticed

"So about this army thing?" I brought back up fighting of this jealous anger.

"No, what am I supposed to do about my relationship?" Mary butt in

"This is your fault Miss-I-wanna-be-in-everybody-business. If you hadn't been so damn nosey you wouldn't even know. And now that you do you have to keep your promise. It's not my fault" I say with an attitude

"How much of a bitch can you be. Even with all the terrible stuff going on with you, you still find a way to be a pain in the ass. Ray tell her it's okay for me to tell him." Mary claimed, trying to go off on me.

I looked over at Ray and watched as he pretended to not pay attention. Both the bitch and I screamed his name simultaneously  to get him to stop playing.

"Huh?" He replied dumfounded

"Answer her" i say. He looked at me and scratched his neck. Letting out a huge sigh.

"Mary, Laney's right"

"What!" she yelled. I gave her that 'mhmm' look.

"You got anything else to say now? Oh what was that you called me? A bitch, a pain in the ass. Bitch you've been a pain in my ass since day 1. Don't ever in your raggedy ass life come at me reckless like that again do you get me?" I asked dead serious. She looked at me and I saw nothing but salt. it made me laugh. "Dumb hoe" i say then walk away.

"Wait!" she said. I turn back around to see her on the phone.

"What is it?" She put her index finger up telling me to wait.

"hello? Chres? You want to know why I've haven't been completely honest with you--"

"You wouldn't dare" i threatenned

"Oh I wouldnt? Who's the hoe now? Who's feeling salty now huh?" she say covering the reciever part of the phone so he wouldn't hear her.

"Mary please don't" Ray pleaded. "If you tell him there's zero chance that we would ever get back to the way we were. And i want him to be the God Father of my child" he stated. It was once again quiet. You could hear Chres on the other side of the line calling Mary's name. Then he said he was hanging up, which I'm guessing he did.

"Ray, my relationship is in ruins. I have to do something."

"Well tell him something else, anything else but this"

"I don't want to lie to him even more though"

"Mary, just until we come out with it. Which will be any time now"

"Anytime like when?"

"I don't know like sometime this month"

"It could be too late by then." She says sadly. I chuckled at her distant look. I used to have that same stupid sad face for that same curly headed boy. So I know how she feels right now. The thought of having him out your life is heartbreaking in itself.

"If it is--" Ray continued "Then I'll straighten everything out personally. Even if it means him hating me forever"

"Thanks Ray" Mary grinned. She looked over at me and with a grimy smile she says "Congrats Laney, I really do wish you the best" and walks away. I don't know whether to be mad or just take the quote-on-quote compliment.
    I shrugged her off and look towards Ray.

He smiles at me and says "Let's celebrate the great news"

=====================================

Hey Guys!

I'm going to save the long apologetic typing because its a lot that's been going on. But I do apologize for being gone and thats about it. Let me know how you feel about the story and all that good stuff. There's another chapter coming up too. I'm going to try and post every Monday and Thursday so yea. Love you all