Chapter 44: The Truth

Chres POV

Mary and I decided to get something different to eat so we split up for a second. Then I remembered I gave my wallet to her so, I went back to find her. When I did, I started walking toward her until she started speaking to Ray. Now it was already surprising enough to find Ray here but just as I was about to turn around and forget it, I ran into someone.

"My bad" I said but stopped myself when I noticed who it was "Laney?"

"Hey Chres" she said nervously. I looked at Mary who looked just as confused as I was. Ray looked like he was trying to find something to say

"Laney? What are you doing here? Isn't this just a small world?" he said

"Yeah. Who would've guess all four of is would've been here today?" Laney said.

"Mhmm, something doesn't seen right about this picture" Mary replied

"Now what are you rambling on about chick? We're just a group of people who happen to be here at the same time" Laney said with an attitude. Mary and I made eye contact and I visually told her to leave it alone.

"Yeah what she said" Ray replied placing his arm around her shoulder, but she quickly brushed it off

"Then why are you two acting so nice to each other? Ray you usually are trying to get as far away from her as possible. And who went shopping at Baby's R Us?" Mary interrogated them and they had no answers. I looked at the side of Ray's face and it was bruised. Did I really do what Jacob said I did?

"Okay you got us" Ray said. Laney looked at him like he just said she was ugly.

"What are you talking about Ray?"

"Laney stop trying to hide it. We tried to keep it a secret long enough. My mom is pregnant and Mr. Parker is her doctor. They sent us here to help with the baby. Laney and I have been hanging out ever since we found out" he said. Both Mary and I were both shocked. Ray went to go sit down and Laney followed. Mary sat down across from them and I listened while standing up.

"So your mom is pregnant?"

"Yep, she's preggo"

Mary looked like she didn't believe it. I didn't either. I watched as Ray and Laney fed us a non-believable story. Mary kept asking them questions but I kept looking at the bruise on Ray's face, it looked a little swollen

I quicky shifted my attention back to the girls and I could tell Laney was getting irritated and in the middle of Ray talking she went off

"How about you stop asking all these stupid questions. We just got finished explaining to you everything! What more could you possibly want?" Laney said raising her voice. I watched for Mary's response and hope there wasn't going to be a scene because with these two girls, we'd get kicked out.

"Alright fine, one more question though" she responded.

"Ugh, what now?" Mary looked at me and shook her head. That can't be good

"Were you guys together Friday?"

"Yeah, why?" Laney asked

"Did you happen to see Chres?"

Damn.

Marissa POV

When Ray told me that him and Laney had been hanging out for the past week it reminded me that Kia said she seen them together. So now that I have confirmation that they were together, I have to ask if they were with Chres and get the truth about what he was doing.

"Come on Mary let's go" Chres said when no one responded. I gave him a serious look that said for him to stop talking and he did. I watched as he wiped the tiny beads of sweat from his forehead and take a seat at another table, but close enough for him to hear. I turned back to Ray and Laney who were also watching him.