Chapter 9: First Day On The Job!

...Marissa...

"Hi...Um I'm looking for Kiara August" I said as i entered the elementary school's office. I was late picking the little one up because i got lost.

"Are you Marissa Bell?" the secatary (s.c.) asked

"yes i am"

"Do you have some sort of ID?"

"yes ma'am" I showed her my student ID

"Okay, Kiara you can leave now"

"Ugh finally!!!" i heard the little girl say. She walked fom behind the desk "Where is this chick at so I can see her and ask why she's late picking me up. i'm missing my cartoons!!!" She looked at me and I waved. It was that little girl from the mall. I should have put two and two together. Chresanto had football practice and Kiara's last name is August. Wow I'm slow!!!

"Hi kiara"

"Don't I know you?" she asked as we walked into the empty school hallway

"I believe so"

"yeah. your that British girl that ran away from my brother at the mall Saturday right?"

"mhmm, and your that spunky little girl that your brother introduced me to right?"

"that depends" she said

"on what?"

"What does spunky mean?"

I chuckled and explained the meaning. We walked outside and she tried to get in the front seat of my car

"um i'm going to need you to sit in the back okay?"

"But Chres always lets me sit in the front"

"yeah but that's dangerous for someone your age, and I can't let you get hurt while your on my watch"

"Okay" Kiara climbed into the back seat and buckled her seatbelt.

I took out the paper that had their address on it and began looking for their house. I unfortunantly had no idea where I was going.

"So why did you run out on my brother?"

"Oh I uh...I had to take some food to my little brother"

"Oh okay. So how old is your brother?"

"he just turned 8 last week"

"That's cool. i'll be 8 in 2 months, 1 week, 3 days, 13 hours, 22 minutes, 6 seconds 5...4...3...2"

"that's cute your keeping count"

"yeah. So do i know your brother?"

"You might, he went to your school but he got really sick and couldn't come anymore. his name is JaLen Perez"

"Yeah I know him. My teacher said he got Lu-Meanya and said we should pray for him. Does that mean that he got really really mean from some guy named Lu?" I chuckled a little

"No. It's called Lukemia and you should pray for him. that would help"

"okay i will remember when I go to bed" The car was silent for a little. I was still lost "So why don't you and your brother have the same last name?" Kiara asked me

"Well we have different fathers. We're just half brother and sister. He got his name from my um.. st-stepfather and I um, kept my mom's last name"

"oh. Why don't you have you dad's last name?"

"Because i don't know my dad"

"oh. i don't know my dad either. He died when i was a baby and i don't remember him" i looked in the rear view mirror and Kiara looked very sad.