Chapter 49

Hassan's PoV:

I was so worried about Syra. There wasn't a single moment that I didn't think of her at my office. She was devastated, as if a part of her just died and I couldn't bear watching that. I wish she knew that she is as successful and amazing without that job, I wish I could make her understand that it's not the end of the world. But of course she gave her everything to her career just like I did to mine, so I can understand the pain of losing it.

Heck even I did some stupid things in fear of losing and destroying my career. We just become so helpless like that, don't we?

I was waiting anxiously to go home from office and check up on her. I figured she needed some time and space so I didn't bother her.

When I reached home, I knocked on the main door of our house for her to open the door. But no response. I tried knocking plenty of times but still nothing. I got worried and this never ending spiral of thoughts started invading my mind, with every possible bad thing that could have happened to her. I ran to the backside door which led to the kitchen, thankfully I keep it locked from the outside for emergencies. I dropped my briefcase and looked for the keys while muttering prayers under my breath.
Finally I found the keys and opened the lock with my shaking and sweaty hands. I push the door open abruptly and find the whole house completely dark. Why were the lights all off? I headed from the dinning room to the dark gallery and towards our room which was pitch black.
I couldn't see anything and turning the lights on to see what had happened, was freaking me out.

I placed my finger on the light switch and closed my eyes and turned the light on. When I opened my eyes, I saw Syra laying on bed and sound asleep. An ash tray filled with a couple of blunt and burnt cigarettes was kept on her side table with a strip of sleeping pills from which it was evident she took two.

WHAT THE HECK SYRA?! I let out my frustration.

I tried shaking her so she could wake up.
"Wha- Hassan?"

"DO YOU HAVE ANY FUCKING IDEA HOW WORRIED I WAS??!!" I blurted.

"Don't shout at me!" She says irritably.

I take a deep breath to calm down.
"Okay sorry, but what the hell Syra?" I looked at her and towards the cigarettes.

"I wasn't well, okay and you know everything." She said while hardly opening her eyes.

"Yeah I know. But you don't get to do this to yourself!" I scold her.

"I am not a child Hassan, please just leave me alone, I will be fine!" She said, half asleep.

She wasn't in the right mind to talk, so I just let her sleep and decide to discuss it later when she's ready to speak.
I went outside the room and it hit me that she's going through a lot and me just scolding her wouldn't help but cause her more pain, she needs her space. But how can I let her ruin her health like that? Heck its 4 in the afternoon and she's still asleep in her PJ's!
I shake my head and go to my study room to work. If she thinks I won't keep worrying about her, she's wrong!
...........................................................................

Syra's PoV:

I feel so lightheaded as I rise from bed. It's so dark and I wonder what time it is. I open my lamp and in the yellow dim light I look at the wall clock and it's 7 pm?! Shit. I woke up got dressed and realised I had starved myself for so long. I made coffee for myself and put two slices of bran bread in the toaster. It was dark outside and I could see Hassan sitting in the cold outside.
He was sitting on a chair in the garden, shaking his legs out of distress. The warm slices of bread bounced up from the toaster and I placed them in a plate and took my coffee mug outside.
I sit beside him in a short heightened chair and he becomes surprised to see me.