Betrayed and Cheeseburgers

Start from the beginning

"Colin, Ben, I would like you to meet Bill Lucas." He looked ready to vomit. "And this is Agent Mara Knoll and Dr. Whitney." Ben only sneered but Colin did his best to greet everyone cordially.

"Yes, thank you!" Dr. Whitney said excitedly.  "And this is Paul Sams." He indicated the thin ginger man. "He has taken over the Special Committee from Senator Palmer." He must have read the shock on my face correctly because he hurriedly assured us he had no part in Mr. Palmer's plans and condemned his actions fully. I still didn't trust him.

"If we are going to do the reading now, I would like to invite some others to join us." Colin left hurriedly and returned a few minutes later followed by Stacy and Dr. Hew. He introduced them to the group. Bill Lucas was not taking the addition of more changers to the room very well but Dr. Whitney engaged Dr. Hew almost immediately.

"Oh very good! Very good to meet you." He shook her hand vigorously. "I have many questions I would like to ask you. Surely you have done some of your own research, yes? I have been working with a large team. We have made some amazing progress but if I could get the ideas of someone who has seen it so to speak, I think it would open so many doors. I really don't have any input on this meeting. I was allowed to come in the hopes of furthering my research. I never thought I would be lucky enough to meet another researcher! Please, will you sit and talk with me?" Vivien Hew looked taken aback by the onslaught but, after a nervous glance to Stacy, shook her dark head in agreement. Dr. Whitney ushered her to the far corner of the library talking excitedly. The rest of us settled around a long table closely watched by Sean and the unnamed agents.

It was a bit uncomfortable, Colin, Stacy and I all reading from one set of papers but I wanted to be sure Ben knew when Bill Lucas gave any indication of misconduct. Ben sat beside me but only stared at poor Mr. Lucas, making him fidget and sweat. No more that five pages in, Ben tapped my leg and gave the slightest nod of his head. I stopped and re read the page, and again. Finally I found it. Just a slight miss wording but it could have easily led to much worse. Bill Lucas apologize profusely and corrected the mistake. But it wasn't his last. Every few pages Ben tipped me off and some small error had to be corrected. At one point I caught Agent Knoll staring at me, when I returned the stare she just smiled.

Stacy and Colin both objected to some points that I had either forgotten to explain or they just didn't like but they were eventually pacified. At one point Ben nudged me but I was completely unable to find the mistake. I read and reread until my eyes hurt but still nothing. I looked at Ben but I couldn't get across my delima. I looked at Mr. Lucas, hoping to find some clue and found him staring over my shoulder. I turned to find Sean standing there staring at him.

"What?" I hissed at him.

"Just making sure you didn't need anything angel." He smiled but never took his eyes off Lucas.

"No. Go sit down! Please." I tried to moderate my tone but he was infuriating. We finished in shorter time than I expected. Once I was sure Colin and Stacy were satisfied I prepared to sign. Ben didn't say anything but I still watched Bill Lucas closely. I didn't trust him and, from the numerous "mistakes" and "mis wordings", he deserved my mistrust. But all I could see on his timid, paunchy face was fear and fatigue. He let out an audible sigh when I finally signed my name. He seemed to gain some confidence now that the meeting was close to the end.

"Mr. Torrington. Ms. Cross. I would like your signatures as well seeing as your names are specifically mentioned as heads of your factions." After Colin and Stacy signed, Agent Knoll approached us.

"The details of this arrangement are already being made public. The changers currently in custody are being released and officials are asking for groups to make themselves known and put forward their own leaders. The government issued commanders are prepared to work with them in forming teams to combat any problems in their areas. Now we need to do the same here. I have been asked to lead this team, with Colin of course."