Chapter XXVIII

Depuis le début

"Yeah."

When he doesn't say anything, I hesitantly say;

"You're right. These clothes won't survive a month. We can go out."

"Great. Come on."

He grabs the key from the desk and opens the door. He waits, and I realize after ten years it's me he's waiting on, so I walk out and he locks.

He's like a basket full of surprises; they never end. I've never seen him smile this much, not even talk so much, and especially not to me. He's so different from his usual self.

"I was really good at math," I answer his question. "And geography. I was good with numbers I guess."

"Really? Numbers were the worst for me. English was my best. Believe it or not, but English literature."

"You?"

"Yeah. Weird, I know. This one looks decent. Wanna try?"

He nods once to my right, and I look in the direction at a glass separating us from dead models in different colors and different clothes.

"Sure."

I try my best to sound more eager than I am, because the idea of shopping clothes with Landon makes me feel kinda awkward. Pick out clothes and then wear them with him sitting there and waiting. It's weird.

We walk inside and look around a bit, Landon behind me. I can't believe I'm the one leading the way. It's a weird feeling, but I like it. I've missed being in charge of something.

"I have no idea what you like, so I'm just gonna go and sit down on that chair and let you do your job," he says.

I smile at him and keep looking. I pick out a light pink long sleeved shirt, which's shoulders are naked a bit but not too much, a dark purple long sleeved shirt with white pearls covering it, a long sleeved, black, fluffy sweatshirt with sleeves that are golden in the end, just like the collar, and another sweatshirt, this one being in dark blue and with Hollister written over it in white. Since I need pajamas as well, I decide the pair with a grey shirt and white pants with light pink dots will do. I pick out two pairs of jeans, one black and one dark blue, and walk to where Landon's chair is placed beside the fitting rooms, but he's not there.

I look around me for a few seconds, and he then comes into view.

"Hey, sorry," he says, but he's not as full of energy and happy as he was before.

"No, it's fine," I say. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

I don't know, you tell me.

He looks down at the clothings in my hands and it's almost as if he remembers the main reason we're here. "Try them on."

I walk inside the fitting room and try all the garments on, and they fit. I don't show them up, however, I just take my own clothes back on and walk out to Landon, who's sitting on the chair with the company of his boredom. "Did they fit?"

"Yeah, they were good," I answer.

"Okay."

He takes them from me and starts walking towards the cashier, with me following him like a wide eyed puppy.