Chapter Six

Cassie stood on the front porch of Levi's house and took a deep breath, this was crazy and she knew it. If Jared knew what she was doing she had no doubt even he would try and talk her out of this.

She pushed the thoughts aside and knocked on the door, it took a long second before Levi opened the door, his eyes focusing somewhere behind her.

"Hello?"

"Hey...uh.baby," She tried.

"Carly?"

"Yeah, who else would it be?" She asked.

"Uhm, nobody I guess. I'm just not used to the pet names."

He moved from the doorway and she walked into the hallway, he closed the door behind her.

"I just wanted to stop by and see how you're doing," she said.

"Well I'd be better if you would answer my calls, why are you doing this? You avoid me for days on end then just show up randomly for the day."

"I'm sorry my heads in a really bad place," She said, knowing that was the truth.

"Are we together, are we not together? Because I need to know." He demanded.

She didn't know what to say, if she told him they were together then she was setting him up for a letdown, if she said they weren't together then he might not speak to her again, even as Carly.

"I don't know, Levi. I'm confused and I need some time but...I want to spend that time, with you."

"Okay."

"That's it? just...okay?"

"I know how I feel about you, I love you. If you want time to figure out how you feel that's fine...just don't shut me out entirely."

"I won't."

He walked into the living room and collapsed onto the couch, she copied him taking a seat next to him.

He reached out, without a word and laced his fingers with hers, for a minute she wasn't Carly she was Cassie and her heart skipped a beat.

She gave his hand a tight squeeze and felt herself relax, he moved to wrap an arm around her and without thinking she snuggled into his side.

Wrapping her arm around him and resting her head on his shoulder, letting him hold her close and listening to his heartbeat. He dropped a kiss on top of her head with a content sigh.

She felt tears in her eyes and before she could stop herself she was talking.

"I was so scared Levi...when I heard...what happened."

"Shh, I'm fine. Cassie was a trooper."

"I didn't think you would make it, I thought...I thought I'd never see you again."

Her own emotions poured out, not Carlys, hers. More tears chased the first one and she had to bite her lip to keep from crying out. 

"It's okay," He promised.

She shook her head, rubbing her face against his shirt. Inhaling his scent, feeling his warmth and letting herself be honest about how close she came to losing him.

"I wish I could take you out on a date," He said with a heavy sigh.

"You will, as soon as your eyes get better."

"You mean if they get better."

"No, I mean when." She insisted.

She refused to let him believe that he wouldn't regain his sight, she refused to let him give up and succumb to living life in the dark.