Chapter Five.

Cassie and Jared had a summer tradition of getting ice cream every Sunday afternoon, there was a small old fashioned ice cream parlor on the main street with over one hundred flavors and every year they tried to try them all.

"How is the marshmallow cream?" Jared asked.

"A little too sweet, how's the coffee truffle?" Cassie asked.

"Meh, wanna switch?" Jared asked, eyeing her bowl of ice cream.

She slid her ice cream in front of him and he copied her, dipping his neon pink spoon into the treat.

"Should I call Trey and ask him out?" Jared asked with a heavy sigh.

"No, you're way too good for him."

"I kind of miss him, he was technically the first guy I was serious with."

"He cheated...twice."

Jared shrugged and took another bite of ice cream, in the small town it was hard to find someone to be serious with but Jared never had a shortage of guys willing to entertain him for one day.

"He was fun when he wasn't being a complete ass."

"Not really," Cassie said with a frown.

Cassie was enjoying the coffee flavored ice cream when she door opened behind Jared and her heart dropped. Cal Knight was constantly tormenting Jared since they were kids and he was the last person they wanted to see.

"Oh no," She whispered.

"What is it?" Jared asked.

"Well, well, well if it isn't my favorite little girl," Cal called out as he approached the table.

He stopped beside them and Jared glanced angrily up at the other man. Cal was short for Callum, he was a star football player, from a loaded family. The richest boy in school and also the rudest, most arrogant.

"What do you want Cal?" Jared asked.

"Why do I have to want anything? Maybe I want to chit-chat with the girls," Cal gave Jared a shove a little too roughly.

"Why don't you just back off Callum?" Cassie asked.

"Why don't you stay out of this? This is between me and your sister here."

Jared rolled his eyes but didn't comment, usually, Levi would intervene at school but there was no chance of that now.

"Isn't there some poor dumb girl you could stalk?" Jared asked.

"I am stalking a dumb girl." He reached out and ruffled Jared's hair, it may be endearing except he was purposely rough.

"Just leave me the hell alone," Jared said ducking away.

"Come on pretty boy, not like I have anything else to do in this own."

Without another word he turned and went to the counter to order his own ice cream, Jared scowled after him then shook his head.

"Closed minds in a small town, got to love it," Jared said.

"Not everyone cares," Cassie offered, reaching out to squeeze his hand.

"I know."

 Cal  was exiting the shop, Cassie watched him a second then her thoughts went to Levi.

"I'll be right back," She promised.

Tossing down her napkin she stood and hurried after Cal, she reached the sidewalk just as he reached his truck.

"Cal! Wait!" She called.

He stopped and turned towards her, despite how terrible he was to Jared he had never given her any trouble, mostly because of Levi.

"Hey, what's up Cas?"

"I was wondering have you talked to Levi?" She asked walking closer.

"Yeah, I called he's...not doing too good."

"I know he wasn't when I saw him last either."

"He keeps asking me and the guys on the team if we've seen or talked to your sister. We all know she's seeing someone but...none of us want to say it."

"Yeah, me too." She admitted, shoving her hands in her back pockets with a heavy sigh.

Cal sighed and fell silent then slowly turned towards his truck, he opened the door and stopped turning back to her.

"He talks about you a lot too." He said.

"He does?" She asked, trying not to brighten at the thought.

"Yeah, he does...why don't you just tell him how you feel?" Cal asked.

"What do you mean? we're best friends he's...my sisters' boyfriend.."

"No he was your sister's boyfriend and your best friend is that dorky dude in there, you're in love with Levi."

"No.."She denied.

"I'm not stupid Cassie, just tell him. It might be okay."

"It might ruin everything," She pointed out.

"Well...I guess that's a risk you'll have to take."

She shook her head and he shrugged climbing in his truck and driving away. He drove away and Cassie stood rooted on the sidewalk, was it that obvious she had a crush on Levi? and if it was did he know too?

She walked back into the shop where Jared was finishing off her ice cream, his own bowl sat already empty.

"Thanks, I didn't want anymore," She teased.

"What did you need to talk to that neanderthal for?" Jared asked.

"I wanted to know if he'd spoken to Levi, he said he's not doing very good."

"Still nothing new with his sight?"

"No. nothing."

"I'm sure he'll pull through, it hasn't been long. He'll heal."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Let's go I'll take you home you're not going to be good company today anyway," He said rolling his eyes.

She laughed but followed him to his car, allowing him to drive her home. Once he was gone she sat on her porch watching Levi's house.

His parents were good, kind people but they both worked hard and had barely been home with him since the accident. He needed somebody to be there and help him.

Clearly, her sister wasn't ready to be that person, but she was. The only problem was he didn't want Cassie he wanted Carly, he always had and he always would.