Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

“Do you really want murder on your conscience?” Lydia asked and Scott gave her a grateful look.

Jackson looked over to her, “You can't play that card with me,” he said, flashing his bright blue eyes.

“All I’m saying is that there has to be a better way. And do you really think more guns are the answer here?” she said.

“Well it’s definitely not less guns,” Aiden said.

“Enough bickering,” Derek said.

“All I’m trying to say is that justice can be done in better ways than through more death,” Scott said.

“But who are we kidding, this is America, guns solve all the answers,” Isaac said with a shrug and everyone collectively gave him a glare because this was not the time for ironic social commentary.

“What we need,” Derek said. “Is to get some real information on who’s behind this. Allison and Stiles are working on it now. Hopefully by morning we’ll know more and we can make a solid plan, not just a hope and pray situation. They seem to know a lot more about us than we know about them and that’s what gives them power.”

“And what if they can’t figure anything out about them?” Isaac asked.

“They will,” he said.

“You heard from Daisy?” Aiden said quietly to Ethan.

“No,” he said. “You think they’re on their way back?”

“I hope so.”

“They’ll be fine,” Isaac said with a nod but they could all hear it in his tone of voice, he was worried.

Peter sat on one of the couches still, looking over at Lydia carefully. Ethan and Aiden had taken back their rings but the rest of the items were still on the table. She stared down at Daisy’s book, unsure of why it didn’t fit with the other pieces. Nothing was clear, and maybe that was because nothing was quite set in stone yet.

They waited another hour to hear from Boyd and Erica but there was nothing but silence. They tried calling their phones but nothing and all of them felt the knot in their gut at the idea that maybe contacting them was no longer an option.

From there they decided that they would wait up for them, taking it in shifts, but Derek never slept. He rang their phones so many times that he was sure their phones would run out of battery before they got to answer.

Erica blinked quickly as she stirred back to consciousness. Everything around her was blurry and she could feel the grass and dirt under her hand and it took a moment for the events of the night before to come back to her.

When they did she took a sharp gasp of air in and sat bolt upright. She looked around to see that they were still in the forest clearing, Boyd sitting by her side with a blank gaze on his face as he stared straight ahead.

Erica felt a pang in her chest and turned to look over at the tree nearby and the puddle of blood at its base. It was mostly dry by now, and the sun was already up, which meant they had been out there all night.

She turned back to Boyd and almost said something stupid like ‘we’re alive’ but thought better of it.

“Boyd?” she said softly.

He said nothing. He just sat there, his legs crossed and his elbow resting on his knees as he played with his hands.

“Boyd… you can't blame yourself for this…” she said and he looked over at her.