Chapter 18: The Game Was Elementary

I woke up feeling hella rested, I stretched with a yawn, reaching out for my glasses on the night stand and ending up knocking something off. When I rolled over and opened my eyes, they burned, "Fuck," I slept in my contacts.

Sitting up I stretched before attempting to remove the lenses, I got one easy but the other seemed to be lost in my eye. I cursed again as I made my way to the bathroom to use water even though that was a very stupid idea. I did it anyway and got the lens out. I had to blink several times but then my slightly blurry vision was able to tell me that I was not in my bathroom.

That's when everything that happened last night came flooding in, damn I'm slow in the mornings. I thought with a smirk as I made my way back into the bedroom where I expected to see Eb, but she wasn't there. All that lay in her place was a pair of sweats, I quickly tugged them on before going to find her.

"Eb?" I called, stepping into the living room, but she wasn't there, which was concerning because that space made up a majority of her place.

But then I heard the water running and went towards her kitchen.

"Eb, what's wrong?" I asked after finding her aggressively washing dishes, water splashing everywhere and getting her t-shirt even wetter.

She barely looked at me before growling, "I'm such a fucking idiot!"

I yawned, scratching my stomach as I walked around the island, "Mamas, what are you-"

She turned on me, pointing a wet finger  and slinging water, "I shouldn't have slept with you." She said softly, her hand falling as all the anger from the moment before left her.

My stomach dropped, the high I was on deflating like a cheap ass balloon. I crossed my arms, my defenses rising cause she sure as fuck wanted to sleep with me last night. "You regret it?"

"Yes," She exclaimed before slapping her sudsy hands over her face and quickly switching her answer, "No, I just..." She groaned, turning back to the sink and grabbing a pot, soap dripping down her cheek as she began scrubbing. "My faith is important to me," She began as I went to grab a paper towel. I nodded along because I knew that she was a Christian, her dad a fucking pastor himself. "And I'm..." She trailed off as I came besides her, using the paper towel to dry off her face. "Such an idiot." She whispered, looking at me with an intense emotion I couldn't place.

I frowned, feeling her grief, I tossed the paper towel aside, wrapping an arm around her shoulder, resting my head against hers, as she began washing again. "What's going on, Eb?"

She took in a deep breath, "I feel so guilty, Niall. I wanted to sleep with you but fornication is a sin." She whispered, flicking on the water so she could rinse the pot.

We both leaned forward as she rinsed it, "Hey, I don't know much about the faith," I said honestly because while Auntie did drag us to church on the occasional holiday it wasn't something I thought about often. "But isn't Jesus supposed to be like super forgiving?"

Ebony snorted, "He is super forgiving, one of the perks of choosing to follow Him." She said, I could tell the words were comforting her as she spoke. "You're right, you're right..." She eventually sighed, setting the pot in the drying wrack before turning towards me. Facing each other she crossed her arms over her belly. "Okay, so He has forgiven me, I just have to repent."

"Repent?"

She smiled, "It means to turn away, turn back to Him and away from your sin." She explained, wiping under her eye and leaving a trail of water. I nodded and she continued, "But that's not the point! I'm supposed to try and do better, try not to sin, try and resist temptation."