Chapter 13: Basashi Commotion Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Oi! Be quiet, I'm on the phone! Wait... eh?" The phone call ended.

"Kusanagi-san?" Tatara asked.

"It seems that Basashi ran wild while Anna and Hana were sitting on its back."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

At SCEPTER4.

Lieutenant Awashimi answered the phone and listened intently with her eyebrows creased. "Understood. Begin a chase immediately."

She reported to Reisei, "The horse in question was found in Downtown Shizume. However, it seems to have gotten away. Besides, there's two girls from the red clan who ride on its back. In order to retrieve the girls, it seems that the red clan is also on the move."

"I see, troublesome guys as usual, aren't they?" Reisei responded as he placed a puzzle piece into its place.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Back with Hana and Anna.

Both the red clan and blue clan chased after the horse strain, but whenever they attempted to confront him, the horse would rear up and smash their faces in with his hoof.

As the chase continued, Basashi transformed into his flightless pegasus form in order to run faster.

Eventually, it seemed like the red clan had teamed up with the blue clan and traveled in their car.

A Blues' car approached us and when the window rolled down, Izumo had his arm outstretched. "Hey, are you alright?"

"Why? The Blues' car...?" Anna asked.

"We're on a momentary common front. Hold onto me and come over here."

Anna pouted, "This child has a place to go to. It has someone who it wants to meet with. I'm sorry."

"Hana! Stop being irresponsible! Get it to stop!" Izumo tried to reason with me.

"Never!" I exclaimed to be dramatic.

With that, Basashi leapt off of the highway and down to the street below.

The Blues' car stopped and Awashima expressed her disappointment in Izumo. (Harsh!)

As the Blues and Reds argued over whose fault it was that the strain got away, Tatara laughed.

Tatara assured everyone, "It's fine, isn't it? Just let her be."

"Haa?"

"She seems to be looking alright. And besides, since Anna, who usually doesn't say selfish things, insisted like that it'll be fine, right? She also has Hana by her side and Hana would never let Anna get hurt."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Basashi continued running towards a specific destination for a few minutes before he was startled into a stop.

Guess the jig's up. Hana pouted.

Mikoto stood in front of us.

Anna had a panicked face as if she was going to get in trouble, "Mikoto..."

"Don't cause us any more trouble. You too, Hana."

As Mikoto approached Basashi, Basashi slowly backed up until Mikoto grabbed his halter.

"Mikoto, listen..." Anna tried to justify herself.

"So, what do you want to do with it?" Mikoto asked.

"I want to let it go where it wants to go." Anna blushed.

Mikoto sighed and walked with us as the rest of the clan joined us.

When we arrived at a chapel next to a farm, Mikoto was a little bewildered. "What?"

Anna explained, "This is the ranch it was at before. That bride had been taking care of it all this time, Basashi says."

They leaned against the short wooden fence as they watched the bride and groom exit the chapel doors. Flowers surrounded them and the bride had the brightest smile on her face.

"So it wanted to come back to her?"

"No. Because she's marrying, it wanted to see her in that state. It's not longer needed in that place, and I think it's... because it's a strain."

Those words hit a little too close to home. Anna... you're wonderful and we will always love you. I know you weren't referring to me, but was I brought here because I was no longer needed at home? In my universe? Am I that worthless?

I placed a warm hand on Anna's head before I silently got off of Basashi. Once I hit the ground, I immediately walked towards the grove of trees. I needed some time to myself.

"Hana..?" Anna called out but I ignored her and kept walking.

While I walked away, Mikoto pulled Anna off Basashi's back, "You're satisfied now, aren't you?"

Concerned about Hana though, Anna stared at her feet.

"Don't worry about Hana-chan, I'll go after her." Tatara reassured Anna whose face brightened up.

Tatara walked off in Hana's direction as Seri renamed Basashi, "White Bean Paste Stewed Tofu."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I stepped into the forest and leaned against a tree.

I sighed and closed my eyes, "I know you're there Tatara."

Tatara stepped out from behind another tree and rubbed his neck sheepishly. "Ahh, I was that obvious, wasn't I."

"Hm."

He leaned up against the same tree, his right arm touched my left arm. I leaned my head against his right shoulder and sighed again.

"Didn't you once say that every time you sigh, a little bit of happiness escapes?"

"I know, I'm just... I'm just a little sad right now. I miss everyone."

"But we're all here with you."

I shook my head. "It's not the same. It's that feeling as if the whole world is against you. I lived my life trying to make other people happy, and now that those people aren't there anymore I don't know what to do."

"Would you... would you go back if you could?"

I stared up into the trees and listened to the birds chirping at each other. Sunlight filtered through the green leaves and specks of dust floated in the air.

"I don't know

"I don't know." I murmured.

Tatara leaned his head on mine in comfort. "We would miss you."