Chapter Eight | Do Not Panic!

A/N: This chapter will have a lot of worldbuilding, and possibly new terms such as wormholes and Bermuda Triangle. Note that if these elements are NOT clear to you, kindly mention your concerns in the comments -- I'd like to better the craft. Or, if you want to read more about them, the GLOSSARY has been updated. You can find it at the very end of the contents. Now enjoy... :)

_________________

"Shailene dear, as Humans have known Bermuda Triangle, it is very infamous for the amount of mysterious disappearances it has caused. It is a region in this very ocean that Humans tend to avoid. This is so because aeroplanes and ships go missing if they cross the area. What they don't know is that it is a gateway to Bastaeola. It's a wormhole--"

"It doesn't make sense," Shailene said. "If it's a wormhole, shouldn't it be in soil, or land, or maybe in fruits?"

When I tried to hold the laughter back, a silly hiccup escaped my mouth.

March groaned. "A wormhole is a theoretical term in Physics for a shortcut in space-time. Say you get in a building and you take the lift rather than taking the stairs. Less distance, less time, for the same destination. Something like that."

"Oh. But I don't get what the big deal is."

Mirshi looked dumbfounded. "Dear girl! Bermuda Triangle is an opening of a wormhole that connects our planets together! It was the best way our species could interact with yours when we are so many light years away that we have just recorded the birth of this galaxy from Bastaeola!"

Shailene gave him the what-do-you-mean look but thankfully didn't say anything more. While the information widened my mind, a nagging concern made its way through my mouth. "How long are we staying here?"

Mirshi smiled. "We have a course planned for a month and a half. That is, in Earth days. After that, we will connect the willing candidates or Resources, to our Base Centres, and they can learn and work from home. And, because the Bermuda Triangle isn't as stable as before, we cannot risk extracting the Bastaeolan Army from our planet... so we might need all of you. We expect a safe route in 2009, however that will be too late since we expect the Great Bond in 2012."

"Great Bond?" My question hung in the air as queasiness crept up my throat. I couldn't shake off the feeling that I had heard it before.

"Yes, the cosmic phenomenon we are going to talk about once we reach Atlantis."

"And, and our families?""

"Don't worry about them."

"My brother. Why isn't he with me?" If I were a half-synthetic being they claimed me to be, Aarav had to be one too.

"The eleven year old?"

"Yes?" My cheek hurt from all the biting. "And he can't speak or hear either."

"Exactly the one. He is under surveillance and brain testing."

My eyes widened. That didn't sound good. "Why, and what?"

"Nothing to worry you. He is suspected to have prior connections with our foes."

"Wh-what? That has to be a mistake... W-Who are your foes? Will he be fine?"

Jacob rubbed my back. "Easy there."

Impossible. This is too crazy. What is going on? Why is this going on? Can I just rewind a few days and never let Dad into my room -- if it even was him that I was seeing? "I need to meet my father." He had to be the one with all the answers.

"I'm afraid it is against orders." Mirshi pinched his antenna ends.

"Is he alright?" I choked the words out, a surge of panic running though me. Whatever medicine Mirshi had given me wasn't working. I had never felt so lightheaded before. Why are my bones shaking?