Chapter Eleven | The First Lesson

"Dark Matter," Shailene mused. "What are you discussing? I mean, I know everything dark has been going on. We were abducted, and haven't yet been told the reason and we are only half real. It indeed is a dark matter but why do you look so surprised?"

March took a deep breath in. "Oh I am so done trying to explain things to her."

That really meant something. March was the keenest of all to shower anyone with facts and definitions. She was of the Ohrantis type, and so was Jacob. Shailene was a Formeeka.

March exhaled. "Okay darling, for the last time, it is not an emotional thing. Dark Matter is a type of material found in the universe, unlike – Mirshi, just... help?"

Mirshi, who was leading our walk to the next concentric circle, or as Bastaeolans called it, next 'Ring' of Atlantis, through the massive passage, looked back, antennas springing.

"Alas, letting a teacher do his job! Shailene dear, when you look at the night sky, do you feel sometimes, that it is calling you?"

"Yes! Yes!"

"Well, out there in the universe is a matter that never absorbs light, reflects it, or emits it. It's been a subject of mystery by the Humankind, and even though we, the Bastaeolans, have accessed it, is still a mystery, of how it interacts with us. We call it 'Allicera'. This very matter also calls out to you when you are not in your real form or if you fully are. This substance can change your physical forms at once on consumption. You'd become exactly like what you saw today in the mirror."

Hearing which, everybody cringed except for me. Even though she was half moth, she still was prettier than me. I look silly.

"Mirshi, by the way, where are we going?" Jacob asked.

He probably jumped before he answered. "Your dormitories!"

"Dormitories?" March said.

"Dear, you are living here for a month and a half. Plus, you'll stay there only till the time you are oriented and taught basic skills. After that, is an entirely different story... and we are here. "

We had walked into one of the Rings and the whole place was a sparkly pearl white. On one side, I could still see the thousand little lamps, and on the other, were walls with upside-down-U entrances and exits. We had stopped right in front of one of them. Three more groups of four with their Formeeka teachers were coming to join us. On the entrance, two Formeekas left and Mirshi, along with another one, ushered us all in. The dormitory did not overlook any of the most marvellous views but for the ceiling. There was again, a huge star map covering the entire ceiling.

When I looked down, I saw about sixteen beds in four tight rows. The sheets were light blue and the body was a silver cuboid box. I could see a thin wall between the four rows, which I supposed was put up to separate the boys and the girls. And there was another glass pane separating us from the beds.

"Resources," the other Formeeka, who sounded female, addressed us. The whole room went silent. "We know how it feels... Taken by us Bastaeolans, or simply the ancestors of one of your parents, and don't even know why. First of all, we aren't hostile. And we are admitting that we need your help. According to our statistics, we have run out of number for what is required, and we plead for your cooperation. As you are our only bloodlines fit and intelligent enough to undertake the task at hand--"

"Formeeka, not so abruptly," Mirshi told her. "Children, for the upcoming threat... you need to study about Bastaeolans so that you may use our technology properly. It is a necessity, and a command of the Vehlut, our leaders. First of all, let us introduce you to us, and make things a bit... eh, comfortable? As for me, Call me Mirshi, and I will be teaching you about the History of Bastiolans and Misconception of Humans. It deals with the interference of our civilization with human history. And I will also be teaching the Telepathic Art."