Ice Dragon Slayer - Chapter 1: The Beginning

*YEAR X778*

Gray Fullbuster was walking. He didn't really know where to. Just, walking. He couldn't sleep. He was having nightmares about Deliora again. Pretty much ever since he joined Fairy Tail, he had occasional nightmares about his past. He didn't mention it to anybody though, he didn't want to seem weak. Gray walked and walked, remembering Ur and Lyon and Deliora. The images of his parents bodies and the large, frightening demon circled around in his mind. Before he knew it, he was close to Mt. Hakobe. He didn't care, just kept going. Gray wasn't worried about Vulcans, he wasn't worried about anything right now. He walked further and further up the mountain, until the snow and wind became too much for even him to bear, and figured it was worth stopping and seeking shelter, until it eased up. Gray walked to a familiar cave and sat, staring out at the falling snow, thinking. He sat for a long time it felt like. The snow finally began to stop. He was just about to start heading back home, and try to finally get some sleep, when all of a sudden, he heard a foot step from behind him. "Damn Vulcans", he thought. "I'm not in the mood tonight!", he called out loudly, hearing his own voice echo inside the cave. There was no response. He looking around cautiously, before deciding that he was over tired and must have been hearing things. He began to walk out of the cave when there is was again...the same sound. This time, he flipped around quickly and stood with his fist in his palm ready to freeze the annoying creature. Except, what he saw, was not a vulcan. It was...a girl.

Gray lowered his hands and stood up straight. "Who the hell are you?!", he called out to the white haired girl, who was now peeking out from behind a rock. She looked terrified. "Come out right now!", Gray called out again. The girl slowly moved from behind the rock and stood with her head down, looking at the floor, her eyes filled with tears. "She's small", Gray thought to himself. "Smaller than me". A tear fell from the girls eyes and fell to the floor, but she still stood there, not moving. "What the hell are you doing?", Gray said, sternly. The girl slowly looked up, and Gray noticed how blue her eyes were. "They're like ice", he thought. For a moment, he thought she wasn't going to say anything. He sighed, then opened his mouth to say something else, when, to Gray's surprise, the girl quietly began to speak. "I....I'm lost", she whimpered. "Oh", Gray replied, confused. He didn't know what to do. For a moment he thought he was being tricked, but quickly dismissed the thought, as it seemed pretty stupid. He stared at the white haired, blue eyed girl for a little bit, before finally deciding that he would try to help. "My name is Gray", he said to the girl. "I live here... well, not on the mountain...in Magnolia I mean". The girl looked at him, but didn't say anything. "I will try and help you", Gray eventually said. This  brought a meek smile to the girls face and she began walking towards Gray. "I'm Tay", she said. "A pretty name", Gray thought. "I can't find my dad. I've looked all over this place, but I can't find him", Tay said, tears filling in her eyes again. "Why would her dad be up on this mountain?", Gray thought to himself. He looked out of the cave entrance and noticed that the snow had began to stop and the sun had began to rise. "Fairy Tail will be opening up soon", Gray said. "We can go there and talk to the members". "What's Fairy Tail?", Tay asked. "It's a guild for wizards. I'm a member", Gray replied. "It's not far from here, maybe one of them has seen your dad, or will be able to help us find him!". Tay smiled again meekly, and nodded. 

They began walking down the mountain together, silently. Gray didn't know what to say. Tay was crying again. The walk back seemed to be a lot longer than the walk there. Gray looked down at the thick snow on the ground and tutted as he noticed the bottom of his jeans were soaked. "Lucky I don't feel the cold", he thought. Then, as if something had just clicked, he turned to Tay. "Are you cold?", Gray asked. "Here, take my jacket". He took off the jacket as passed it too her, feeling guilty that he hadn't realized she wasn't wearing one earlier. "She must be freezing", Gray thought, before Tay replied with "Oh, thank you, but I'm not cold". She kept her head down, and Gray put his jacket back on, confused. He didn't think it was an appropriate time to start asking questions. As they were walking for what felt like forever, the snow began to fall heavily once again. Gray grabbed Tay's hand and began to lead her down the mountains path. "Just so we don't get lost or something", Gray grunted, blushing. By the time they reached Fairy Tail, the doors were open. Gray could hear Natsu challenging Erza to a fight before they even went inside. "Not today, flame brain", he angrily thought to himself. "Well, this is it!, Gray smiled at Tay, who had finally stopped crying. Tay smiled back at him before he pushed the doors of the guild hall open. There were only a few members there. "FIGHT ME RIGHT NOW ICE PRINCE! LET'S GO GRAY!", Gray and Tay both heard, before a pink haired, fire wielding mage jumped over a table and ran at them. "NOT NOW, NATSU", Gray shouted at the top of his lungs at the pink haired mage, which caused him to halt his fiery charge. His loud shouting had also caught the attention of all of the guild members in the hall, including Master Makarov, who was sitting with his legs crossed on top of the bar at the other side of the hall. Everyone in the guild hall was now staring at him and Tay. Gray looked at Tay, who at this stage looked like she was about to burst into tears again at any second. He smiled and gestured her to follow him, and they silently approached the Master. 

"Hey, Master", Gray said. "Gray, you're here early this morning", Master Makarov replied. "Who's this you have with you, Gray?". "Uh, this is Tay. She's lost. I brought her here because I thought maybe we could help her to find her dad", Gray answered. Tay stood silently looking terrified. Natsu, Erza, Mira and all of the other guild members in the hall began to gather around them, listening. "Of course we can help you!", Erza smiled at Tay. "Oh god, look at her, she's crying, poor pathetic little girl", Mira laughed. "Tell me, child", Master Makarov said kindly. "When was the last time you saw your father?". "Umm..", Tay said shyly. "A few months ago I think. I woke up one morning and he was gone". Gray looked at her confused, while Master Makarov raised an eyebrow. "Tell me, what does your father look like?", Makarov asked. "Um, he's blue", Tay said. "Blue?", the other guild masters asked as they muttered among themselves. Gray grew increasingly confused. "Great", he thought. "I brought a nut job to the guild hall".  Makarov raised a hand and the members quickly silenced. "Can you tell me anything else about his appearance? If we are to put an ad out or search we need a better idea, child". Makarov said to Tay. "He...his name is Toshiro. He's blue..." Tay stopped to think for a while. "He's got wings". Tay said, casually. Mira began to laugh. "So what you're telling us girl, is that your blue, winged dad is missing? Next you'll be telling us he looks like a dragon! Can we just all agree this girl is LYING and get her out of here for God's sake?". Tay stared at Mira dead in the eyes. "My dad doesn't look like a dragon", she said. "He IS a dragon".

 "He IS a dragon"