Second chance in love chapter 1

After 4 years...

Marcus POV

"Sir, we have all the files for the Thompson case. You just need to study it and then we are all set for the trial next week." Said Maria my secretary.

I nodded and started reading the case file, it was a murder case and wouldn't you know, I am handling the main suspect of this crime. Criminal law has always been my forte immediately after passing the bar.

But by just scanning the case file, I can say that this going to be the most difficult file I have handled. Oliver Thompson was caught kneeling down the victims body, while holding the knife that killed the person. The only thing that can prove Thompson's innocence, at this point, is the fact that the way he was holding the knife, he had no enough force to produce those deep wounds. This is going to be one difficult fight, innocent until proven guilty doesn't always happen to these people, they are judged right away by other people, which can prove to be a harder task. How can you convince people if they are already fixed on a specific idea that may or may not be the truth?

To top it all of, I was going to against one of the top law firms in the area, Montgomery and Partners, with a certain Atty. Matt Cruz. I can truly say that I am very nervous about this, they are one law firm that only has tough partners and their losing rate is close to none. People really pay top dollars to get them, whereas I am doing this pro bono. My family still constantly bugs me to join the family firm full time, but I think doing this extra pro bono work gives me purpose when it comes to my chosen field.

After about five minutes, I suddenly have a headache and I have only scanned the first few pages of the file. Well, I guess I'll just have to take these home and work on things from there.

As I got into my BMW, I thought I saw Vea inside Starbucks across the building of my office but upon looking again she wasn't there. Vea, I missed her to no end. After her somewhat confession she left town and cut all ties from me. I tried contacting her only family, her sister Michelle, but I got nothing, she even left her condo.

That day I lost my best friend the girl I truly love and even the girl I thought I was proposing to. Vanessa, well to say she wasn't happy that I broke up with her was an understatement, apparently she already saw the ring I was going to give her and announced it to everyone. I even had to do damage control because it was even featured on the lifestyle section the next day.

Breaking up with a tall, blonde, curvy on the right places, rich brat was not the easiest thing I have ever done. With all their contacts it's beyond me how I can still have a decent job.

After thinking about the damage control i had to do with Van and how i missed Vea's company I just randomly went to the rooftop. I like to think and remember how I was before Vea left my life. The first time I met her, well to say I was attracted to her was well an understatement as well. She was beautiful, those brown straight hair, brown almond shaped eyes and that captivating smile that could make any guy melt, well was unforgettable.

After conversing with her I knew she was a keeper, unfortunately I never thought she was a keeper for me. I tried to set her up with my guy friends but none of those worked out, I even asked her if she likes someone, when she said yes I convinced her to make him notice her. Unfortunately, that was a bust because even when I did notice her, I didn't act on it, why, because at the back of my mind the feelings that I was feeling were just how a regular best friend should feel. My, was I stupid.

I was falling in love with her and I never noticed it, my focus were on Vanessa and how much sense we made. I guess you can say, I was caught up with the glitter that comes with Vanessa. The perfect couple, even if we were anything but perfect.

And because of that, I lost the most important person in the world.

Vea POV

"Ms. Vea, the Carter case file is here as well as the Thompson case." Said Melissa my secretary.

I was fixing my bag, so that I could go home and fetch Mitch from school. But, when I heard the Thomson case file I suddenly stopped what I was doing.

"Why are you handing me the Thompson case file, isn't Matt in charge of that case?" I asked. All I knew about the case is that Oliver Thompson was seen kneeling down on the bloody body of his former wife, while holding the knife that killed her. He says he's innocent but who knows if he truly is, they say he has enough motive to kill her in the first place. She cheated on him with his brother no less, and after that relationship she went on to another man who had money.

"Well the thing is Matt has some family emergency that he has to take care of, he flew to Spain this morning and just called up this afternoon, to say we have to assign the case to another lawyer. Boss says this could be assigned to you, since you are doing well on the Carter case and you need something of this caliber to get known all the more." Said Melissa.

It may be bad to hear this thing, that we take on some cases that can make us known, but that is the truth in our life as a lawyer. We are only as good as our last case and if we take on let's say a controversial case, chances of our being known to the public is really great. What can I say, every career has a different way of giving each person a break, in this case mine apparently is going to be the Thompson case.

"Fine hand over the files, so I can go fetch Mitch from school. She'll throw a fit if I fetch her late from day care, she may be three but trust me she is one spoiled kid." I said smiling.

I went down the building and went directly to Starbucks, I always get a Mocha Frap before going to the day care. It helps me keep calm before fetching one hyper child, weird I know.

While walking to the day care I cannot help but think of Marcus, when I passed by my old condo. I looked at the semi old, semi new white building, balconies filled with plants and flowers, a doorman ready to welcome each tenant and of course last but not the least the rooftop. The rooftop I share many memories with Marcus.

Last I heard of him was his engagement announcement on the life style section on the news paper. I cut all ties from him to help me move on, even transfer to another State just to get over him, but because of certain things, I had to go back never telling him where I was. I just hope he has a happy life with Vanessa.

As I got to the day care, the little bottle of sunshine ran towards me with her arms wide open, I kneeled down to catch her in a massive hug.

"Mama, I missed you!" Said Mitch

I looked at her seeing the same brown eyes as mine, cute button nose and the same smile as mine, or so they say. Her pigtails which are now a mess in my standards, and her pink dress which she fondly calls princess dress is now in need of some ironing. I love this little girl to pieces and somehow I can no longer see a life without her.

"I missed you too sweetheart."

A/N please tell me what you think, I was thinking of making this more than a love story. I'll add more things so that we can also get the gist of the Thompson case and other cases they might or might not handle:) so anyways thank you for giving this story a chance, whether you're reading it or not:))