Choose or die

I sigh. Knowing that Harry, Hermoine, and I are the last three left, isn't a very good perspective. Let alone that we don't know what's coming next. 'I feel sorry for Ron,' I say, while we're walking through another dark hall. 'Yeah, me too...' Harry says. Hermoine remains silent. I can't blame her. I'm also still shocked. And I bet that Harry's too. 

Suddenly, we arrive at another door. 'I'm getting sick of all these doors by now,' I say. Harry laughs. 'I guess that Dumbledore thought that that would give some extra protection or something,', Hermoine says. 'Or he's just addicted to doors,' Harry says. I laugh too. 'Let's see what's behind this one,' Hermoine says and she opens the door with "Alohomora".

We walk inside and look around. Except for a table with three potions and a letter, the room is completely empty. We walk to the table and Hermoine grabs the letter and reads out loud: 'Congratulations! I see that you made until here, I must say that I'm impressed. Nobody has ever come so far. Now: in front of you you can see three different potions with three different liquids in them. Your task is now to choose the right one to pass the black fire you'll soon see. Choose wise, or die...' Hermoine puts the letter away and a black fire immediately appears. 

I do a few steps back because I'm afraid of the fire. Harry looks at me. 'Are you okay?' he asks. I nod. 'Yeah. Just... afraid of fire', I confess and I look with big eyes to the fire. Harry puts an arm around me. 'It's okay, Draco. The fire can't hurt you here,' Harry tries to calm me down. Hermoine studies the potions in the meantime.

'Look!' Hermoine says after a few minutes. 'What did you find?' Harry asks. 'There's a riddle written on the other side of the letter!' she says. 'Well, let's hear it,' I say. 'Red is dangerous, while the blue gives you what you need. The right potion is not the green, choose wise or die by the consequences,' Hermoine reads. We immediately start thinking. 

'I say we take the blue one', I say. 'And why do you think that?' Hermoine asks. 'It's kinda obvious. The letter said: the blue one gives you what you need. And we need to get through that fire over there,' I explain. 'Hmm... I don't think that any of the teachers who made the protection of the Stone, made it that easy, Draco,' Harry says. He's right. 

'So, it's definitely not the blue one...' Harry says. 'I think it's the red one,' Hermoine says. 'And why?' I ask. 'Because fire is dangerous, and so was that potion, right?' Harry seems to think about that. 

'I don't know, Hermoine...' he says. Hermoine sighs. 'What about the green one?' I ask. 'I don't know what to think about that...' Hermoine confesses. 'Is there something written about scent?' I ask. Hermoine shakes her head. 'Maybe we can use our nose to get the answer!' I suggest. 'That could work!' Harry says. We all grab one potion and smell it.

'Mine smells sweet... I recognize the scent, but I don't know from what...' I say. 'Sweet... sweet... hmmm...' Hermoine mutters. 'Mine smells like-- I don't know exactly what the scent is. It's very heavy and it hurts in my throat...' Harry says. 'That's a fire protection potion, for sure', Hermoine says. 

Suddenly, she knows what mine is, too. 'I KNOW WHAT YOURS IS, DRACO! IT'S PUMPKIN JUICE!' she says. She grabs my potion, the blue one. 'And what about yours, Hermoine?' 'Hmm... mine smells like... if there's something rotting...' Hermoine says. 'Could that be poison?' I ask. Hermoine's surprised. 'Finally, someone who pays attention during class!' she says. That makes me smile. 'Good, now we know what the scents are, what do we do now?' Harry asks. 'Well, we know for sure that the green one is poisoned', Hermoine throws that potion away. 

'That means that there are two left, the red and the blue one. The blue potion is something that has to do with fire... the red one is pumpkin juice, that's clear too,' Hermoine adds. Harry thinks. 'Hmmm,' he mutters. 'Maybe we can use the pumpkin juice to put out the fire!' I suggest. 'The letter clearly said that we have to go TROUGH the fire...' Harry says. 'Then there's one option left: we take the red one,' Hermoine says. 'But there's only one problem...' she adds. 

Harry and I sigh. 'And that is?' 'There's just enough for two people...' Hermoine says. 'We should vote who'll take the potion,' Harry says. 'Harry for sure,' I say. 'And... you, Draco,' Hermoine says. 'Me? Why?' I ask. 'You need to help Harry. I go back to Ron then,' Hermoine says. I look at Harry. 'Is that okay with you Harry?' I ask him. 'Of course,' he answers.

Harry and I take the potion and take a sip. I feel the liquid go through my body. Harry and I walk around the table, to the fire. My eyes become big again and I look hesitating at it. Harry notices it and grabs my hand. He rubs it softly, and that gives me more courage. I take a deep breath and then Harry and I walk into the flames.