Alone

W o w I feel kind of high?  I don't do drugs, but my blood sugar is probably too low o.o
So if this chapter is also super strange - know you know why!
.-.

When Dex reopened his eyes, it was night.  He sighed.

He'd just wanted was a good day with the triplets and for two fourths of it he'd been asleep and one fourth he didn't even remember.  He probably freaked out the triplets too.  All he wanted was for them to be happy.  But now he couldn't even give them a nice day.  What a shit brother he was becoming.  And with this dumb headache he might not even be able to get them where they needed to be in time.

But he had to do it before he slipped again.  Before the trees became purple and he started hearing pretty birds singing.

He didn't want to follow them across the sky yet.

Man, he must have terrified the triplets.  He even called Lex 'Rex.'

Dex slapped his cheek in an attempt to wake himself up a bit more before sitting up in his sleeping bag.  The fire outside was aflame.  The triplets surrounded it, seeming to be eating dinner.  There was one extra plate set aside, Dex noticed.

With great difficulty, the oldest Dizznee stood up.  His vision blurred for a moment before he could see again and continue walking without fear of accidentally tripping over something.

"Hey."  Lex greeted once Dex stepped out of the shack.

Dex nodded.  "Hey, guys."

Bex grinned, grabbing the plate set aside for Dex with a cooked brattail on it, shaking it a few times as if to lure him to her.  "We made you some food."

"I see that.  Thank you. "  Dex said.  He gave a grateful smile, but it took him a moment before he could make it all the way to the log where Bex was sat.  He was moving like a turtle.

"Sleep well?"  Rex called.  Next to him was the cage they'd planned to make for Sunlike.

Dex tried to smile when he saw it, but the fact that he'd missed making it hurt.  "Yeah... Sorry I was so weird today."

He might as well get the awkward apology over with.

"It's alright."  Lex said.  "We just wanna make sure you're okay."

"I'm much better.  No more singing birds..."

"What?"

"Nothing."  Dex shook his head.  He took a bite out of the food they'd prepared for him before remembering something important.

Important but dreaded.  So very dreaded.

"I made you guys some dessert, by the way."  Dex said, breaking the silence.  "Why don't I start on it right now?  It just needs to be heated.  I worked on it earlier."

Rex looked at his brother and sister before giving a nod.

"I made it, like, right after I came back to camp the last time I went out if that gives you any perspective."

The triplets laughed, a bit nervous.

"That helps."  Rex said.

"Yeah, I'd expect you - as a rule - to deny any food from me within at least twenty-four hours of me being... Well you know.  I'll go get it, anyways."

Dex couldn't turn back to look at the triplets as he fetched the concoction from the shack.

He could barely smile back at Lex as he heated it up over the fire.

He almost couldn't manage to hand it to his beloved siblings.

But he did.

He forced a laugh when Bex coughed at the cinnamon taste he'd added to disguise the taste.

And soon he was the only elf left standing among the forest.

Dex had never felt so alone.