61 - Home

With the War of the Ring officially said and done, a new era had begun. Middle-earth did not have to worry about a dark threat any longer. The land wouldn't fall to darkness, and all that was once destroyed by war would be on the mend, eventually restoring to their former glory.

Speaking of a new era, the spot of King of Gondor was filled by Aragorn. He always had that leadership quality about him, a quality which royal heirs possessed. The ceremony was held months after the final defeat of Sauron. The entirety of Minas Tirith gathered around the castle to behold the crowning of the new king.

I could honestly say that attending a coronation was something I had never expected to have ever done in my lifetime. Still, I had watched in pride as Gandalf had crowned Aragorn. The day was not only one of celebration, but one of reunion as well. Lord Elrond had made a surprise visit, along with Arwen.

It was a sight to see, Aragorn and Arwen together. It gave me hope of success for my relationship with Merry.

Entering the new era of peace, us five Hobbits—Sam, Frodo, Pippin, Merry, and I—decided to do something we had planned from almost the very beginning: travel home to the Shire. Our long journey home had no sense of urgency in it, but excitement. We were more than ready to be back where we belonged.

It took a little over a year, but before we all knew it, the vibrant green grass, fields, and noises of home welcomed us back. For our journey home, we took four ponies to accompany us—I say four because I hitched a ride with Merry.

I didn't know about the boys, but I didn't feel as elated as I should have been, being back in Hobbiton. In all actuality, it felt odd having things so quiet. For the few months after leaving the Shire, I always heard battle calls, howls of pain, and orders being barked in the air.

Merry rode with Frodo to take me home to Bag End, Pippin and Sam went their own ways. But we'd all meet up again; we planned on heading to the Green Dragon later in the night. The boys were all for the idea, I wasn't as much. The Green Dragon meant seeing Rosie again.

If I didn't come out of the Green Dragon tonight with an earful from Rosie, I would be very lucky.

Frodo stopped his pony, jumping down and tying it to the fence. I wondered what he'd do with it. We barely had room in Bag End; the lawn was very small with little room to maneuver. I hated to think it, but Frodo would most likely have to give the pony away.

I stayed with Merry. When Frodo passed the gate, noticing I wasn't following him, he turned around to look at me oddly.

"Aren't you coming in?" my adoptive brother asked me.

"Actually," I met Merry's eyes briefly, "I was thinking I'd spend some time with Merry, if you don't mind."

"Just make sure you're back in time so we can get together later."

"Don't worry, we won't let time get away from us," Merry assured him.

Frodo shot us a skeptical look, but I laughed at him. Ever since Frodo knew about my relationship with Merry, he'd all of a sudden become the protective one.

Merry clucked his tongue, telling the pony to get moving. I waved to Frodo from over my shoulder.

It felt like time really did get away from us. Even though we only headed to the river—coincidentally, the one Merry and Pippin had pushed me into the day of Bilbo's birthday party—we used our time together just to talk and be in each other's company. The pony didn't abandon us; it ate away at the grass around it, happily occupied.

"This river has given me two near death experiences," I chuckled, even though the topic shouldn't have been laugh worthy.

"Two?" Merry asked me. "What was the other time?"

Rise (Lord of the Rings)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara