Vine

A blue and yellow dragon laid on her back, her rainbow eyes shimmering in the ticklish sun-rays. She was reading a long old scroll about a mythical land called Pantala, along with a talonful of other mystical myths and fantasies. She let her dull scales shift freely at every peak of happiness and pale hue of fear or suspense. She giggled every now and again, the late afternoon sun making her ebony white horns and spikes glow and shift with every snort. The sun reflected off on her light beige belly making her easy to spot.

"Cocoa!" A pink Az called out to her. The little dragonet looked up at the sound, yawning contentedly. "Hey, guys, Sun time's already over?"

"Well, we were talking about going to the lake farther into the forest, you know the one with the giant waterfall and the fireweed and the weird poppies?" Daff stated proudly.

"Oh yeah, Vine and I would always go there when I went hunting," The blue dragonet replied. Of course, now she just ate in the hut, she felt comfortable around her new friends.

"Would you like to come?" Az asked.

"Totally!" Cocoa exclaimed.

"Alright, then let's get flying," Az said turning around, Cloudy sat on her back like a lazy brick. Daffodil had a basket of late dinner and some empty containers for the edible flowers near the falls. Cocoa went inside to grab a leafy satchel of her things and then rushed out to meet the others.

The three started flying out of the village and into the bright forest. They flew straight for a while, chit-chatting about Cocoa's scroll and things like their favorite flowers and fruits. After a few miles at least, they hooked a left and made their way through some spruce and redwoods, toward the earthy noises like that of thunder. The roaring came closer and louder in their ears until they emerged through an overhanging of dense grey-leaved branches. The sounds of tranquil drumming centered into one clearing. Wide white waters trickled and pushed from a high alcove of black and red stone. The cliff it came from was decorated with lush green ferns, fireweed, and big, ruby poppies. Lavender coated the meadow about 15 feet under the falls, and dandelions bent with the gusts of misty wind from the falling water.

Cocoa hovered on the cool breeze, before she would settle on the soft grasshopper green grass and lupine. She savored the cool air mixed with the last tender rays of day. She settled down beside the green-blue, pumpkin shaped lake. Daff was setting out the food and Azalea was playing with Cloudy on the shore. Cocoa inspected some of the white daisies with their black speckled eyes. She pulled an empty piece of parchment and started writing with a crystal vial of green ink. Using her talon to gingerly pick a delicate flower so she could dry it later. And then she got to work scrawling out a sketch of the plant.

When she finished, she picked her stuff up and went to the hemlock at the edge of the clearing. Seeing if she could find anything of interest there. A few squirrels fighting over a nut ran off as her shadow passed over them. She pushed through the lichen and found a cluster of lone blueberry bushes. She excitedly filled her talons with them and stuffed more into her green bag. She came into the clearing again with the berries and handed them to the RainWing mates.

They all combined them into the salads and popped a few in their mouths. The little violet balls popped in their mouths, staining their teeth magenta and spreading their sour sweet juice around their tongues. This is the life, thought Cocoa.

The two brightly colored dragons and the one brown dragonet laughed and enjoyed the scenery. Watching Cloudy laze around and eating the tasty dishes. When they finished Cocoa offered to go around and pick some flowers to fill their jars with. She brought her satchel of stuff and her parchment paper so she could record her findings on the way.

The dragonet lifted herself off the ground with one smooth wingbeat and flew over the booming lake. A few features flitted beneath the surface of the water, piranhas she assumed or some other yummy fish. Well I haven't actually had a fish, but I assume they're good...maybe now's as good a time as any to try them. The colorful brown dragonet was about to sweep down and snag a silvery silhouette with her talons, but she twitched her tail and brought herself up again. No, I remember that one time Vine looked at my dead monkey sadly. He hadn't said anything...but hat look on his face, she frowned, she never would have had that thought if Vine were here.

There was a pang in her chest as she envisioned his dazzling smile and his mischievous emerald eyes. Her lip curled into a smile a bit, she had been so immersed in the RainWing life, that she had forgotten how much she had missed him. She cursed herself for forgetting her old friends.

Cocoa hovered over the moss covered rocks of the waterfall. The crystal waters came from inside the big, slate chunk itself and the above fields grew lush with it's nutrients. In the grass and the knee-high ferns were interspersed fuchsia fireweed, elephant's ear, devil's club, and violet lupine. The little dragon came to a running stop in the grass, careful to step lightly. She ran all over, looking at every leaf, emerald ink covered every inch of the paper.

When she could find no other plant or flower, she settled down in the forest at the edge of the meadow. The sunset glowed golden amber and amethyst purple, on the surface of the calm waters. She watched the sky cool off into a beautiful indigo splattered with luminescent paint specks.

"It's such a royal blue, almost as gorgeous as you—almost." A voice whispered into her ear.

The dragonet whipped around to come face to face with a pair of emerald gems. She gasped,

"...Vine..."

When Dragonets Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें