Salty Ocean, Salty Tears: Dawn's POV

Start from the beginning

I knew that Cutiefly's doubles were weaving around in intricate patterns down below me but as the Fairy Wind tornado spun me gently I slowly and calmly stretched out one leg and arm after another, as if I were swimming through the air. Exactly on time to the girl vocalist's yell of excitement I felt a strong, concentrated blast of Fairy Wind hit my lower back and legs which flipped me backward. I landed back on the stage dramatically before I launched back into my chorus knee-twisting move and my cutieflies released their Struggle Bug sparks to the timing of my claps. As the song came to an end I struck a pose, holding up one hand so that the real Cutiefly could land on the back of my hand. As the last note died down she released her doubles, leaving just us two on the stage.

The crowd immediately burst into thunderous applause and I grinned, dipping down into a curtsy while holding my hand still so Cutiefly wouldn't be displaced. The cheers and whistles continued as I rose from my curtsy and I found myself looking past the large crowd at the front of the stage to look over at Torterra and Paul. 

My heart jumped a little bit as my eyes seemed to once again connect with Paul's and his expression was filled with surprise and what almost looked like approval. When he realized I was looking though he quickly schooled his expression into a scowl and I pressed my lips together so I wouldn't laugh. Looking back at the crowd and judges who were still cheering for my performance I waved happily at them all and then turned, leaving the stage with Cutiefly flying along beside me.

As I walked towards the prep tent Jonny, the guy who had made it to the finals in the last showdown against Traavi, walked out and smiled brightly at me. I returned his smile and wished him luck as he walked toward the stage. When I slipped through the tent I was surrounded by several other performers all begging me to teach them the trick where Fairy Wind made me fly. Before I could say anything though someone cleared their throat loudly and all of the girls stiffened and turned to see Kailani standing behind them.

Kailani was a beautiful girl; her hair was left to flow freely down her back and she wore a precious bikini with ruffled fabric both on her chest and the small skirt-like bottoms. The fabric started as white and then gained color until the bottom layer of ruffle was a dark pink. I had been excited and intimidated when she walked into the prep tent without saying a word to anyone. Everyone seemed to give her a wide berth and do their best to avoid her gaze, which surprised me since she seemed so sweet when I watched her perform in Iki Town.

"Stop fawning over her; cheap tricks like that won't get her anywhere," Kailani said, a dark glare transforming her innocent-looking face into a mask of evil maturity. 

I swallowed in shock and I could see several of the girls surrounding me shiver before they slunk away to watch Jonny's performance on the TV provided in the tent.

"You didn't like my performance?" I asked as she continued to glare at me. She folded her arms across her flat stomach and let out a 'hmph' sound.

"The point of the Ka halu round is to show off the beauty of your pokemon and your bond with them, not to show off yourself," she said snidely and I frowned. 

Several retorts and arguments flashed through my head but I took a small breath and decided to not let this little hellion rile me up.

"You don't think I showed off Cutiefly's beauty?" I asked and she raised an eyebrow.

"Just because it can use Double Team doesn't mean people can see it. Cutiefly is too small to be effective as a solo partner," she criticized bluntly and I frowned as I saw Cutiefly droop onto my shoulder in obvious sadness.

"I see. Thank you for the advice, Kailani," I said curtly and she arched a perfect eyebrow at me.

"Just so you know Miss 'Angel'," she said with obvious sarcasm, "I just turned fifteen. I may look young but there is no way I am letting you beat me in this showdown."