Nightmares(3)

I am back in the facility, chained to the wall and I can hear the doctor's footsteps pounding through the hall, approaching my door. I struggle against the chains, even though I know it's no use. The voices whisper "he's coming" over and over in my head and I can do nothing to stop what comes next. I know what's coming before he even opens the door and pushes the cart with the equipment on it in. He attaches me to the machine and I scream, pleading for him to stop, but he persists. The shocks are worse and worse each time, and this time it's too much to bear.

Waking up with a scream on my lips isn't uncommon, I am aware that I talk in my sleep sometimes and scream, and struggle. Usually my teammates don't wake up to my screams, they aren't usually very loud. But this time, I am louder than usual, I have to have been, because I hear a knock on my door.

"Wraith, are you alright?" I hear Mirage
say, and there's a beat of silence before he speaks again, "Can I come in?" I knew if I didn't let him in, he'd probably stand out there for the rest of the night. So I let out a quiet "yes" and watch the handle turn. Before I can say a word, he pulls me off my bed and into a tight hug. We stay there for several heart beats, his arms around me, holding me up in a state where I can barely stand. Elliot is silent for a few moments once again. "Tell me about it." Is all he said, as if he knows I always have nightmares, and so I do. My voice wavers as I recap the events of my dream. I wasn't even aware that a was shaking until Elliot put his hands gently on my shoulders, forcing me to be still.

"I'm sorry. No one's ever seen me in this state." He pulls me into another hug, this one comes as less of a surprise.

"Don't a-apolo-be sorry. I should be the one who's sorry. I've heard you scream in the past, I just didn't feel like it was my place to come check on you. I should've been in here sooner." I just paused for a minute carefully thinking over how to respond to that. He's heard me scream before, he cares... but what made him come in here this time?

"What made you want to come in here this time?" I asked. He looks at me for a second without saying a word.

"I don't really know. Your scream was just so agonizing, full of pain. I couldn't stand to not come check on you." I say nothing for a moment and utter a pair of words I don't usually say.

"Thank you."

~~~~ Time skip because I felt like this chapter wasn't over ~~~~

Mirage went back to his room after I thanked him with a promise that he'd come back at 7:30. Why he said that I'm not exactly sure, but sure enough when the clock hits 7:30 he's at my door.

"Good morning, Sunshine." he says, letting himself in my room.

"Don't call me that. And didn't your mother teach you how to knock?" He chuckles and walks around to sit on my bed.

"She did indeed, but I said I'd be here at 7:30, and if I knocked it would've been 7:31 by the time you let me in." It was my turn to let out a soft chuckle. He knows me so well. I definitely would've waited a minute before letting him in just so I could tell him that he lied. Laughing and smiling are two things that I don't do often, but that was before I met Elliot. I seem to smile and laugh a lot when I'm with him, and I can't quite tell if that's a good or bad thing. I spent time carefully building all these walls, and he seems to break them down so easily, that it kind of makes me anxious. With all of my walls broken down to him, I'm vulnerable, I'm at his mercy, and that's a dangerous place for me to be.

"Wraith. Helloooooo. You there?"

"Huh? Oh sorry. I was lost in my thoughts." What has gotten into me?

"As I was saying, I was thinking we could go to breakfast, just you and me. Ya'know because Pathfinder can't eat (Just go with it lol) and we haven't really gotten to know each other that well." He says. How did I miss this whole speech before?

"You're my teammate, we've gotten to know each other pretty well." I say. Not meaning to come off rude or too harsh.

"Oh well you don't have to, I just fi-figured it would be a good idea." He looks down.

"I didn't say no did I?"

821 Words

A/N wow that was pretty long! I'll probably update tomorrow too since this one took so long and I'll be driving to Orange Beach which is an 8 hour drive. I might even update twice tomorrow who knows. Hopefully you enjoyed that chapter and the next one is coming soon!
Xoxo- Hannah