Temptation

Later that evening, Leo sat in the Boar's Hat, slowly drinking and savoring a large tankard of Bernia ale. She sat alone at a table, watching as her fellow sins bantered among each other.

Her eyes were drawn to the captain and Elizabeth, who sat next to each other on stools at the bar. She watched as he reached out a hand and pushed her hair out of her face, revealing her one green eye. She blushed at something he was saying to her and ducked her head, but he put a hand under her chin and made her look back up at him as he gave her a warm smile.

Leo took another drink of her ale, her eyes never leaving the pair. Damn, Leo. Are you getting soft? You don't need that, you never have.

She felt someone come up behind her and the strong smell of alcohol wafted over her as Ban crouched behind her and rested his chin on her shoulder, glancing over at her before saying, "Who are you staring at, L?" He followed her gaze to the captain and Elizabeth, who were now laughing at something, and then let out a low chuckle. "Oh, the love birds. Disgusting, isn't it?"

She hesitated for a moment and then took another deep swig of her ale before saying in a forced light voice, "Yeah, it's repulsing. I almost can't drink watching it."

He must have caught her hesitation because he stared at her, studying her face for a moment. She avoided his gaze, playing with the handle on her mug, until he said in a slightly surprised voice, "Oh. I see. Now it becomes clear. You're not watching them because you're disgusted, you're watching them because you're envious." He grinned at her suddenly. "My little elf really does have feelings after all! What was all that crap about tree roots, and duties....."

She tried to shove him away from her. "Shut up, Ban. Leave it alone."

"Fine. If you're going to be like that." He put his chin back on her shoulder and watched Elizabeth and Meliodas for another moment before he glanced at her again and said in a low voice, "But you know, I can be that for you, if you truly want it, little elf."

She jerked her gaze to meet his. "What the hell are you going on about, Ban? Your drunk ramblings really piss me off sometimes, you know that?" Her tone was angry, but inside her chest, her heart had done a leap at his words, even if he didn't mean them in the slightest.

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Don't get angry with me, L. I'm being completely serious." He put his hands on the back of her chair as he moved closer to her.

She felt as if her heart were going a hundred miles a minute. Why did he make her feel this way? It was just like the other night in the bath. She shouldn't let him do this to her, it didn't mean anything to either of them, and it was just asking for trouble.

She felt his warm breath on her neck, the smell of liquor surrounding her, as he leaned close to her and murmured against her ear, "Come on, L. Aren't you curious?"

"Ban..." She started slightly as something sharp touched the delicate skin of her neck beneath her ear.

He ran his pointed canines down the pale skin of her throat, tracing a trail down to the top of her shoulder, which was bare from her loose tunic. Leo felt her breath catch in her throat at his touch and she felt like she couldn't breathe for a moment. She heard and felt nothing other than his breaths on her skin.

She wondered, just for a brief moment, what it would feel like to have his hands on her body, have him cover her mouth hungrily with his, run her fingers through his pale hair.

And then she came back to her senses.

She shoved him away from her, hard enough that he stumbled backward and crashed into the table behind them. She stood from her chair, anger flashing in her eyes as she picked up his tankard of ale and threw it into his face. He stared up at her from the floor, surprise in his eyes, his wet, pale hair hanging in his face as ale ran down his temples.

"It's like I always say, Ban, you're an ass when you're drunk." She threw the empty tankard at his feet, aware that everyone had turned to watch them, and stalked out into the night, slamming the door to the pub behind her.