Finally, we reached the predetermined spot that Erwin had marked out on a map for us before we left the city. It was close enough to the wall that we hopefully wouldn't have to worry too much about our flanks, but near the front lines, so that Jaeger could be there quickly when signalled for.

I dropped down from my mare and tied the reins to a nearby tree, making sure my knot would hold while we were gone. Jaeger followed suit, trying his mount next to mine along the same branch of the large tree.

I glanced over the saddles at him as I rummaged for some equipment in my side bags, and nonchalantly said, "Oi, Jaeger." I didn't look at him, just continued to look through my bags, as I said, "Don't you trust Commander Erwin?"

I looked up then, meeting his gaze, as he sputtered for a moment, trying to find the right words, before he blurted out, "Of course I do."

I found the dagger I had been looking for in my bags and bent over, sticking it down the side of my boot before I straightened and leaned my arms on my mare's back, raising an eyebrow at him as I said, "So why are you so worried?"

He finished straightening his tack and glanced down at his feet, seeming to be embarrassed by the fact that he was worried. Finally, he said in a low voice, "I just don't want to lose anyone else."

His words struck a chord within me. I didn't want to lose anyone else either. Not ever again.

I pulled myself from my thoughts and came out from behind my horse, walking over to Jaeger to put a comforting hand on his shoulder as I said quietly, "I don't want to lose anyone either, Jaeger. So let's make sure we don't."

He glanced up at me, his green eyes intense, and then he nodded hard, before saying, "Alright." He took in a deep breath and straightened his shoulders, his eyes flicking to a column of smoke in the direction of the battlefield. His eyes grew hard, angry, and then he said in a determined tone, "You promised to have my back, Corporal. Now I'm making a promise. We're not going to lose anyone else today. Not if I have a say in it."

I knew that wasn't possible. Not with what we were up against. But if it gave him courage, if it made him angry, if that promise could carry him through so he did what he had to do, then so be it. He could believe it for now.

I glanced over at the column of smoke, which was growing thicker and darker by the minute, and swore under my breath. I hoped the squad was alright. And Levi. Hell, if anything happened to Levi....

Suddenly, a bright light appeared on the horizon, cutting through the towering pillar of smoke rising into the sky.

It was the green flare. The signal.

I felt my heart speed up in my chest and I turned to Jaeger, who had seen it too. He met my gaze, sweat starting to gather on his forehead again, and I gave him a nod, putting my hands on his shoulders as I leaned in and said, "You can do this, Jaeger."

He held my gaze for a moment more, fear, uncertainty, panic, and then anger and determination flicking across his eyes, and then he nodded back to me, his hands clenching into fists at his side. "I promise. No one else today. Or ever."
I stepped back from him, giving him space, as he slowly raised his hand to his lips. "Remember, Jaeger. Only worry about the beast titan. The squad commanders were instructed to wait ten minutes after the flair and then move. That'll give you time to engage the abnormal. We'll worry about the rest of the bastards." He looked over at me, his hand held against his lips. and nodded again. I lowered my brows in determination and gave him a stiff salute before saying, "Go give them hell, Jaeger."

I took a few more steps backward and grabbed the horses' reins in my hands as, with an enraged yell, Jaeger sunk his teeth into the skin between his thumb and forefinger.