Corporal

By the time the sun was beginning to set and we saw the green flare launch into the sky signalling the end of the day's missions, most of my cadets had had a chance to take on a titan for themselves.

As we headed back to the spot where we had left the horses and packed up our gear, I begrudgingly had to admit that half of them hadn't done as badly as I had thought they would. There were only a few tears, only a few moments of panic, and a few near death experiences and close saves by myself. Not bad for a day's work.

We rode hard and fast and entered the gates of Wall Maria just as true darkness began to fall over the land outside the wall. After stabling their horses, my squad gathered in front of me, giving each other tired, pointed glances as they waited for me to address them.

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked them all over. Most were splattered with dried, dark red titan blood, and a few were marked with blood from their own or their comrades wounds. "Alright, idiots. An hour training. Work on your reflexes. And I want to see extra work put into how deep your scoring is. If I have to take down any more titans that you've just managed to scratch..." I glared at Johnson and he dropped his eyes to his feet. "I'll personally feed you to the next batch that comes along. Do I make myself clear, cadets?"

"Yes, Corporal."

I was about to dismiss them when a group of scouts walked past us, talking and laughing with each other. I immediately recognized the group as the special forces team. The blonde, Arlert, was flanked on either side by the dark haired, angry boy, Jaeger, the titan shifter, and the stern, black haired girl, Ackerman. I noted quickly that the rest of their troop was there as well. The tall boy, Kirstein, and the other two that always seemed to be together, Braus and Springer.

My attention was drawn back to my squad, who whispered excitedly among themselves as the group passed them. I heard someone murmur, "That's them! That's Eren Jaeger, the titan kid!"

"Hey, isn't that Mikasa Ackerman? Damn, she's just as fine as they say." I heard another one of the cadets whisper with a snicker.

"Shut up, idiots." I snapped loudly, and they all clammed up, their eyes coming back to my face. "You do know who commands the special forces, don't you? That's Corporal Rivaille's troop. And I suggest you stay out of their, and his, way. They could chew you all up and spit you out before you had time to draw a blade." I waved my hand at them. "Now get out of my sight. You have drills to do."

The cadets drifted off toward the training grounds, still talking amongst themselves about the famed special forces troop they had just seen.

I snorted under my breath. What a group of idiots. Why did I always get stuck with the newbies?

I turned to head off toward the mess hall, intending to eat some quick dinner and retire to my quarters for the night, when I heard someone say from behind me, "Bad day, (L/N)?"

I stopped in my tracks, instantly recognizing the low, flat voice. I didn't turn to look at him, instead, I chuckled humorlessly and retorted, "Would that make everyday a bad day for you, Ackerman?"

He walked up beside me and I glanced over at him, his dark, expressionless eyes on my face as he said emotionlessly, "Making jokes now, are we? It doesn't suit you. Never has."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Oh, you're acknowledging the fact that we know each other out loud nowadays? I thought you were too ashamed of our upbringing to let on that you knew me."

He snorted. "Don't take an attitude with me, (L/N). You know I can break your legs if you keep it up."

I continued walking toward the mess hall, where I had originally intended to go before he had shown up, but he kept step beside me for a few moments, saying flatly, "You were wise to warn your cadets about staying away from my squad."

I rolled my eyes, but didn't look at him as I said in an annoyed tone, "Oh yeah? I didn't do it for the reason you think." We had reached the mess hall, and I knew he wouldn't walk in with me. The shame was too great. I paused outside the door for just a second and said coolly, "I simply told them to stay away from your group because I didn't want them to have to deal with a bad tempered ass like yourself on a daily basis. Tends to bring down the morale." I flicked my fingers at him in a mocking salute. "I'm not that same little girl you knew anymore, Ackerman. I grew fangs and I bite back now." I entered the mess hall, throwing over my shoulder sarcastically, "Good night, corporal."

FLASHBACK

"Levi, wait!"

I scrambled after the small figure in front of me, dodging debris that lay in the tunnels of the underground, trying to keep sight of him in the dim light of the underground.

"Come on, (F/N)!" I heard him call back to me from somewhere up ahead. "I can't wait up for you all day!"

I pumped my legs harder, trying to catch up to him. Just as I rounded the corner, I tripped over a large chunk of rock that was in my path, failing to see the boulder in the failing light. I screamed and crashed to the ground, using my forearms at the last minute to catch myself from falling straight onto my face.

I sat up, inspecting my now scratched and bleeding arms, and then glanced down at my ankle, which was already beginning to swell where I had twisted it from falling over the boulder. Tears began to roll down my face as my arms began to sting and my foot began to pulse with pain.

Suddenly, Levi appeared, pushing his dark, straight, dirty hair back off his forehead as he knelt down beside me. "What happened, (F/N)?"

"I tripped over that boulder and I hurt my arms and my foot...." I got out between sobbing breaths, holding out my bloodied arms for him to inspect.

He studied the scratches on my skin for a moment and then met my tear filled gaze with his own, serious, concerned one. "I'm sorry, (F/N). I'll go slower next time. I promise. I'll never leave you behind again."

He sat down beside me and put a thin, dirt smudged arm around my shoulders as I continued to cry. I buried my head in his filthy, torn shirt, using the thin material to wipe my eyes. "Do you promise, Levi?" I asked, my voice muffled, my face still buried in his shirt.

I felt him nod against my head. "I promise, (F/N). I'll always go as slow as you need."